Jul 25, 2013, 10:00 AM EDT
Justin Faulk is just 21 years-old and has all of two NHL seasons under his belt, but don’t count him out of making the U.S. Olympic team.
Team USA GM David Poile is a big fan of Faulk’s game and as Chip Alexander of the Raleigh News & Observer hears it, the Carolina youngster has a great chance to go to Sochi.
“He certainly has his star rising,” Poile said. “There will be some tough decisions,” Poile said. “But we like Justin’s game.”
Faulk’s competition on the blue line will be tough. With guys like Ryan Suter and Ryan McDonagh likely already locking down a couple of starting spots, things open up a bit more for the other six openings on the team.
As long as you ignore Faulk’s plus-minus rating from his rookie season (and you should do that anyway) he’s played big, tough minutes for them and has been productive offensively. Seems like the kind of guy Team USA would want to have in the mix.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 9
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 16
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 25
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 29
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)