Jul 25, 2013, 10:00 AM EDT
Justin Faulk is just 21 years-old and has all of two NHL seasons under his belt, but don’t count him out of making the U.S. Olympic team.
Team USA GM David Poile is a big fan of Faulk’s game and as Chip Alexander of the Raleigh News & Observer hears it, the Carolina youngster has a great chance to go to Sochi.
“He certainly has his star rising,” Poile said. “There will be some tough decisions,” Poile said. “But we like Justin’s game.”
Faulk’s competition on the blue line will be tough. With guys like Ryan Suter and Ryan McDonagh likely already locking down a couple of starting spots, things open up a bit more for the other six openings on the team.
As long as you ignore Faulk’s plus-minus rating from his rookie season (and you should do that anyway) he’s played big, tough minutes for them and has been productive offensively. Seems like the kind of guy Team USA would want to have in the mix.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 11
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)