Jul 25, 2013, 11:26 AM EDT
At least one online bookmaker is banking big on home-ice advantage in the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia.
Bovada has released its odds for the men’s hockey tournament, installing Russia as the favorite to win gold.
Czech Republic 17/2
While we’re not sure we would’ve come up with the same odds (has Bovada seen Russia’s defense?), we can definitely appreciate how badly Alex Ovechkin and company want to win gold in February — particularly after their disappointing performance in Vancouver three years ago, when they were eliminated in the quarterfinals, falling to Canada by a score of 7-3.
“Don’t judge our team by one game,” Ovechkin said following the defeat. “We are still strong.”
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 0
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 11
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 18
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 13
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 7
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)