Jul 25, 2013, 11:26 AM EST
At least one online bookmaker is banking big on home-ice advantage in the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia.
Bovada has released its odds for the men’s hockey tournament, installing Russia as the favorite to win gold.
Czech Republic 17/2
While we’re not sure we would’ve come up with the same odds (has Bovada seen Russia’s defense?), we can definitely appreciate how badly Alex Ovechkin and company want to win gold in February — particularly after their disappointing performance in Vancouver three years ago, when they were eliminated in the quarterfinals, falling to Canada by a score of 7-3.
“Don’t judge our team by one game,” Ovechkin said following the defeat. “We are still strong.”
- Byfuglien out 2-4 weeks with upper-body injury; Little hurt, too 9
- Bettman concedes there are ‘some members of the NHL family who would like to see fewer shootouts’ 48
- Season over: Avs lose MacKinnon to broken foot 19
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 20
- Bruins sign Krug and Smith to contract extensions 36
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 15
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 9
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 21
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 32