Jul 25, 2013, 11:26 AM EDT
At least one online bookmaker is banking big on home-ice advantage in the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia.
Bovada has released its odds for the men’s hockey tournament, installing Russia as the favorite to win gold.
Czech Republic 17/2
While we’re not sure we would’ve come up with the same odds (has Bovada seen Russia’s defense?), we can definitely appreciate how badly Alex Ovechkin and company want to win gold in February — particularly after their disappointing performance in Vancouver three years ago, when they were eliminated in the quarterfinals, falling to Canada by a score of 7-3.
“Don’t judge our team by one game,” Ovechkin said following the defeat. “We are still strong.”
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 6
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 35
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 16
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 52
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother (Updated) 31
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 30
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 54