Jul 25, 2013, 11:26 AM EDT
At least one online bookmaker is banking big on home-ice advantage in the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia.
Bovada has released its odds for the men’s hockey tournament, installing Russia as the favorite to win gold.
Czech Republic 17/2
While we’re not sure we would’ve come up with the same odds (has Bovada seen Russia’s defense?), we can definitely appreciate how badly Alex Ovechkin and company want to win gold in February — particularly after their disappointing performance in Vancouver three years ago, when they were eliminated in the quarterfinals, falling to Canada by a score of 7-3.
“Don’t judge our team by one game,” Ovechkin said following the defeat. “We are still strong.”
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)