Jul 25, 2013, 11:26 AM EDT
At least one online bookmaker is banking big on home-ice advantage in the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia.
Bovada has released its odds for the men’s hockey tournament, installing Russia as the favorite to win gold.
Czech Republic 17/2
While we’re not sure we would’ve come up with the same odds (has Bovada seen Russia’s defense?), we can definitely appreciate how badly Alex Ovechkin and company want to win gold in February — particularly after their disappointing performance in Vancouver three years ago, when they were eliminated in the quarterfinals, falling to Canada by a score of 7-3.
“Don’t judge our team by one game,” Ovechkin said following the defeat. “We are still strong.”
- MacKinnon: Avs ‘shut ourselves down’ in Game 3, not Wild 0
- Bergeron, Kopitar and Toews named Selke finalists 8
- Report: Zetterberg to return to Detroit lineup tonight (Update: Game-time decision) 15
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 28
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 19
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 85
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 99
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)