Jul 25, 2013, 1:23 PM EST
The last time Switzerland won a medal in Olympic ice hockey, the year was 1948 and the games were played outdoors at the St. Moritz Olympic Ice Rink.
The Swiss came away with the bronze that year (Canada won gold; Czechoslovakia silver); however, it’s been a pretty tough go since.
Could the 2014 Games in Sochi, Russia, mark Switzerland’s return to the Olympic podium?
Well, let’s be honest, probably not. But if you’re looking for a dark horse, the Swiss do feature veteran NHLers like Flyers defenseman Mark Streit and Ducks goalie Jonas Hiller. They also have some young talent up front in Flames forward Sven Baertschi and free agent Damien Brunner. Nashville defenseman Roman Josi is another promising young player.
Suffice to say, it would be unwise for the favorites to overlook this team.
You may recall in 2010 when Switzerland pushed home side Canada to a shootout in the preliminary round. The Swiss were eventually eliminated by the United States in the quarterfinals, but only by a score of 2-0 (with an empty-netter).
Switzlerand also won a silver medal at the 2013 World Championship — beating Canada and the U.S. along the way — losing in the gold-medal game to home-side Sweden.
For the complete list of 47 players invited to Switzerland’s Olympic evaluation camp, click here.
- Video: Canucks honor Quinn with “O Danny Boy” 1
- Video: Stars’ Klingberg scores from center ice 3
- Report: Alfredsson retirement to be announced Dec. 4 5
- On the odds of fighting back after Thanksgiving 7
- Why are the Oilers still bad? Look at their drafting 20
- The Leafs are worth almost seven times the Panthers, says Forbes 19
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? 43
- Crosby, Malkin power Penguins, help Fleury grab 300th win 7
- Sooner than later? Bruins GM hopes Chara can return in 10-14 days 1
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 22
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)