Jul 25, 2013, 7:12 PM EDT
On a day where most of the talk focused on his own contract extension, Dave Nonis spent some time discussing three other pressing deals.
But, according to Nonis, the timeline thus far has given him little to no concern.
“That’s not a red flag. It’s July,” Nonis said on Sportsnet 590. “I’m not surprised that they’re not signed, and we have a lot of time before we have to start worrying about it.”
Looking across the NHL, it’s easy to see why Nonis remains unfazed.
Several teams have opted to put RFA negotiations on the backburner while dealing with more pertinent matters, like unrestricted free agents and potential arbitration hearings.
St. Louis still hasn’t reached an agreement with Alex Pietrangelo, nor has Buffalo with Cody Hodgson. New Jersey still needs to reach a deal with Adam Henrique, as do the Rangers with Derek Stepan. Other key unsigned RFAs include Mikkel Boedker (Phoenix), Kyle Clifford (Los Angeles), Marcus Johansson (Washington) and Jared Cowen (Ottawa).
That said, Nonis doesn’t expect deals for either Kadri — the club’s second leading scorer last year, with 44 points in 48 games — or Franson, the club’s leading defenseman scorer, in the near future.
— Stephen Whyno (@SWhyno) July 25, 2013
Kadri made $1.72 million last year, while Franson pulled in $1.2 million. Fraser, who emerged as a very useful defenseman in his first year in Toronto, made $600,000. All three are expected to be re-signed before the Leafs start training camp, which will begin prior to the team’s preseason-opener on Sept. 15.
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers aim to solve Hawks’ Crawford 3
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 13
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 34
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)