Jul 25, 2013, 7:12 PM EST
On a day where most of the talk focused on his own contract extension, Dave Nonis spent some time discussing three other pressing deals.
But, according to Nonis, the timeline thus far has given him little to no concern.
“That’s not a red flag. It’s July,” Nonis said on Sportsnet 590. “I’m not surprised that they’re not signed, and we have a lot of time before we have to start worrying about it.”
Looking across the NHL, it’s easy to see why Nonis remains unfazed.
Several teams have opted to put RFA negotiations on the backburner while dealing with more pertinent matters, like unrestricted free agents and potential arbitration hearings.
St. Louis still hasn’t reached an agreement with Alex Pietrangelo, nor has Buffalo with Cody Hodgson. New Jersey still needs to reach a deal with Adam Henrique, as do the Rangers with Derek Stepan. Other key unsigned RFAs include Mikkel Boedker (Phoenix), Kyle Clifford (Los Angeles), Marcus Johansson (Washington) and Jared Cowen (Ottawa).
That said, Nonis doesn’t expect deals for either Kadri — the club’s second leading scorer last year, with 44 points in 48 games — or Franson, the club’s leading defenseman scorer, in the near future.
— Stephen Whyno (@SWhyno) July 25, 2013
Kadri made $1.72 million last year, while Franson pulled in $1.2 million. Fraser, who emerged as a very useful defenseman in his first year in Toronto, made $600,000. All three are expected to be re-signed before the Leafs start training camp, which will begin prior to the team’s preseason-opener on Sept. 15.
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 12
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 104
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 16
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (104)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)