Jul 25, 2013, 2:58 PM EST
Toronto Maple Leafs general manager Dave Nonis has been granted a five-year contract extension.
In what amounts to a strong vote of confidence from ownership, the extension comes less than a year after Nonis took over from Brian Burke, who was fired in January.
Under Nonis, the Leafs made the playoffs in the lockout-shortened 2013 season — their first postseason appearance since 2004 — but lost in the first round to the Boston Bruins (in heartbreaking fashion).
“Ownership and management felt it was critical to extend David now for a lengthy period of time and to reward him for the progression of the Leafs and Marlies,” said Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment chief Tim Leiweke in a statement.
“This extension will allow David the time to build his kind of team to produce steady results, year after year. Everyone is excited about his ability and grasp of the NHL landscape and today’s new contract agreement will offer the Leafs consistency and a long-term vision.”
Nonis has been very active this summer, buying out Mikhail Grabovski and Mike Komisarek, acquiring Jonathan Bernier and Dave Bolland in trades, re-signing Tyler Bozak, and adding David Clarkson in free agency.
How those moves turn out remains to be seen, but clearly ownership feels Nonis on the right track.
“I’m very grateful to Tim Leiweke and our ownership group for this contract extension,” said Nonis in a statement. “Together with our hockey operations staff, we’ll continue to patiently put the building blocks in place which will lead us to future success.”
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 154
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 119
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (181)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (154)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (119)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)