Jul 25, 2013, 2:58 PM EDT
Toronto Maple Leafs general manager Dave Nonis has been granted a five-year contract extension.
In what amounts to a strong vote of confidence from ownership, the extension comes less than a year after Nonis took over from Brian Burke, who was fired in January.
Under Nonis, the Leafs made the playoffs in the lockout-shortened 2013 season — their first postseason appearance since 2004 — but lost in the first round to the Boston Bruins (in heartbreaking fashion).
“Ownership and management felt it was critical to extend David now for a lengthy period of time and to reward him for the progression of the Leafs and Marlies,” said Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment chief Tim Leiweke in a statement.
“This extension will allow David the time to build his kind of team to produce steady results, year after year. Everyone is excited about his ability and grasp of the NHL landscape and today’s new contract agreement will offer the Leafs consistency and a long-term vision.”
Nonis has been very active this summer, buying out Mikhail Grabovski and Mike Komisarek, acquiring Jonathan Bernier and Dave Bolland in trades, re-signing Tyler Bozak, and adding David Clarkson in free agency.
How those moves turn out remains to be seen, but clearly ownership feels Nonis on the right track.
“I’m very grateful to Tim Leiweke and our ownership group for this contract extension,” said Nonis in a statement. “Together with our hockey operations staff, we’ll continue to patiently put the building blocks in place which will lead us to future success.”
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 3
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 20
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 81
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 79
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 0
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 17
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 16
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Stoll charged with cocaine possession, but not MDMA possession (82)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (81)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (79)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)