Jul 25, 2013, 2:58 PM EDT
Toronto Maple Leafs general manager Dave Nonis has been granted a five-year contract extension.
In what amounts to a strong vote of confidence from ownership, the extension comes less than a year after Nonis took over from Brian Burke, who was fired in January.
Under Nonis, the Leafs made the playoffs in the lockout-shortened 2013 season — their first postseason appearance since 2004 — but lost in the first round to the Boston Bruins (in heartbreaking fashion).
“Ownership and management felt it was critical to extend David now for a lengthy period of time and to reward him for the progression of the Leafs and Marlies,” said Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment chief Tim Leiweke in a statement.
“This extension will allow David the time to build his kind of team to produce steady results, year after year. Everyone is excited about his ability and grasp of the NHL landscape and today’s new contract agreement will offer the Leafs consistency and a long-term vision.”
Nonis has been very active this summer, buying out Mikhail Grabovski and Mike Komisarek, acquiring Jonathan Bernier and Dave Bolland in trades, re-signing Tyler Bozak, and adding David Clarkson in free agency.
How those moves turn out remains to be seen, but clearly ownership feels Nonis on the right track.
“I’m very grateful to Tim Leiweke and our ownership group for this contract extension,” said Nonis in a statement. “Together with our hockey operations staff, we’ll continue to patiently put the building blocks in place which will lead us to future success.”
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 12
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 20
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)