Jul 24, 2013, 3:01 PM EDT
According to Mikhail Grabovski’s agent, Gary Greenstin, there are three “very interested” NHL teams in acquiring his client’s services.
Greenstin made the remarks Monday while speaking to ESPN’s Craig Custance.
In making his decision on where to sign, Grabovski, 29, will apparently look beyond the money that’s being offered and more to the role he can expect to play for his new club. (Which is no surprise, really, when you consider what he had to say about Maple Leafs head coach Randy Carlyle after being bought out by Toronto. Suffice to say, Grabovski wasn’t too happy being turned into a checking center.)
“He’s great on power play,” Greenstin said. “Can play penalty killing. He’s a great play-maker. He would like to stay here. He’s an NHL player. He would like to win something.”
Grabovski, a center, had four years remaining on his five-year contract with Toronto (cap hit $5.5 million). The buyout will cost the Leafs $14.3 million over eight years.
Greenstin didn’t share which three teams are “very interested.” We’ve suggested Winnipeg before; however, it’s possible the Jets may be up against their budget once they get Blake Wheeler and Zach Bogosian signed.
Another team that could use a center is Calgary, except we’re not sure winning hockey games is a big priority for the rebuilding Flames.
Related: Grabovski not interested in KHL
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 5
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 34
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 10
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 23
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)