Jul 24, 2013, 3:01 PM EDT
According to Mikhail Grabovski’s agent, Gary Greenstin, there are three “very interested” NHL teams in acquiring his client’s services.
Greenstin made the remarks Monday while speaking to ESPN’s Craig Custance.
In making his decision on where to sign, Grabovski, 29, will apparently look beyond the money that’s being offered and more to the role he can expect to play for his new club. (Which is no surprise, really, when you consider what he had to say about Maple Leafs head coach Randy Carlyle after being bought out by Toronto. Suffice to say, Grabovski wasn’t too happy being turned into a checking center.)
“He’s great on power play,” Greenstin said. “Can play penalty killing. He’s a great play-maker. He would like to stay here. He’s an NHL player. He would like to win something.”
Grabovski, a center, had four years remaining on his five-year contract with Toronto (cap hit $5.5 million). The buyout will cost the Leafs $14.3 million over eight years.
Greenstin didn’t share which three teams are “very interested.” We’ve suggested Winnipeg before; however, it’s possible the Jets may be up against their budget once they get Blake Wheeler and Zach Bogosian signed.
Another team that could use a center is Calgary, except we’re not sure winning hockey games is a big priority for the rebuilding Flames.
Related: Grabovski not interested in KHL
- Kings’ Dustin Brown: ‘We got our [expletives] kicked’ 10
- Feeding frenzy: Sharks devour Kings to take 2-0 series lead 20
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 24
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 41
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 66
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 91
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 26
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (150)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (103)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)