Jul 24, 2013, 3:01 PM EDT
According to Mikhail Grabovski’s agent, Gary Greenstin, there are three “very interested” NHL teams in acquiring his client’s services.
Greenstin made the remarks Monday while speaking to ESPN’s Craig Custance.
In making his decision on where to sign, Grabovski, 29, will apparently look beyond the money that’s being offered and more to the role he can expect to play for his new club. (Which is no surprise, really, when you consider what he had to say about Maple Leafs head coach Randy Carlyle after being bought out by Toronto. Suffice to say, Grabovski wasn’t too happy being turned into a checking center.)
“He’s great on power play,” Greenstin said. “Can play penalty killing. He’s a great play-maker. He would like to stay here. He’s an NHL player. He would like to win something.”
Grabovski, a center, had four years remaining on his five-year contract with Toronto (cap hit $5.5 million). The buyout will cost the Leafs $14.3 million over eight years.
Greenstin didn’t share which three teams are “very interested.” We’ve suggested Winnipeg before; however, it’s possible the Jets may be up against their budget once they get Blake Wheeler and Zach Bogosian signed.
Another team that could use a center is Calgary, except we’re not sure winning hockey games is a big priority for the rebuilding Flames.
Related: Grabovski not interested in KHL
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 23
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 9
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 18
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 33
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)