Jul 24, 2013, 3:01 PM EDT
According to Mikhail Grabovski’s agent, Gary Greenstin, there are three “very interested” NHL teams in acquiring his client’s services.
Greenstin made the remarks Monday while speaking to ESPN’s Craig Custance.
In making his decision on where to sign, Grabovski, 29, will apparently look beyond the money that’s being offered and more to the role he can expect to play for his new club. (Which is no surprise, really, when you consider what he had to say about Maple Leafs head coach Randy Carlyle after being bought out by Toronto. Suffice to say, Grabovski wasn’t too happy being turned into a checking center.)
“He’s great on power play,” Greenstin said. “Can play penalty killing. He’s a great play-maker. He would like to stay here. He’s an NHL player. He would like to win something.”
Grabovski, a center, had four years remaining on his five-year contract with Toronto (cap hit $5.5 million). The buyout will cost the Leafs $14.3 million over eight years.
Greenstin didn’t share which three teams are “very interested.” We’ve suggested Winnipeg before; however, it’s possible the Jets may be up against their budget once they get Blake Wheeler and Zach Bogosian signed.
Another team that could use a center is Calgary, except we’re not sure winning hockey games is a big priority for the rebuilding Flames.
Related: Grabovski not interested in KHL
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 20
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)