Jul 24, 2013, 3:01 PM EDT
According to Mikhail Grabovski’s agent, Gary Greenstin, there are three “very interested” NHL teams in acquiring his client’s services.
Greenstin made the remarks Monday while speaking to ESPN’s Craig Custance.
In making his decision on where to sign, Grabovski, 29, will apparently look beyond the money that’s being offered and more to the role he can expect to play for his new club. (Which is no surprise, really, when you consider what he had to say about Maple Leafs head coach Randy Carlyle after being bought out by Toronto. Suffice to say, Grabovski wasn’t too happy being turned into a checking center.)
“He’s great on power play,” Greenstin said. “Can play penalty killing. He’s a great play-maker. He would like to stay here. He’s an NHL player. He would like to win something.”
Grabovski, a center, had four years remaining on his five-year contract with Toronto (cap hit $5.5 million). The buyout will cost the Leafs $14.3 million over eight years.
Greenstin didn’t share which three teams are “very interested.” We’ve suggested Winnipeg before; however, it’s possible the Jets may be up against their budget once they get Blake Wheeler and Zach Bogosian signed.
Another team that could use a center is Calgary, except we’re not sure winning hockey games is a big priority for the rebuilding Flames.
Related: Grabovski not interested in KHL
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 7
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 31
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 94
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 82
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 18
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (96)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (86)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)