Jul 24, 2013, 3:58 PM EDT
Another day, another fresh twist to the Roberto Luongo saga.
As first reported by TSN’s Darren Dreger, Luongo has hired Pat Brisson and JP Barry of CAA Sports to be his new representatives.
When it comes to agents, there aren’t any heavier hitters in the hockey world than those two.
What it means for the Canucks isn’t clear. It could simply be that Luongo was unhappy with his former agent, Gilles Lupien, for failing to orchestrate a trade out of Vancouver.
Luongo has nine years remaining on his current contract, so he doesn’t need any help negotiating a new deal. Unless, of course, he’s hoping to find a way out of that contract (which he did say in April he’d “scrap” if he could) and into a new one.
That still seems unlikely — if not impossible — though.
But then, trading Cory Schneider seemed unlikely, too.
Barry tells the Vancouver Sun he plans to meet soon with Canucks general manager Mike Gillis and assistant GM Laurence Gilman; however, he wouldn’t say much more than that.
“I think I am going to have to reserve comment for a while,” Barry said. “We need to get up to speed and take some time. Obviously we are coming on to a difficult file and we need to give him proper advice and we need to take some time here, talk with Roberto, talk with Mike and Laurence. There are media reports and then there’s talking to the parties. We’ll take the time to do that over the next little while here … we’ll try and reach out to them in the next day or two.”
Worth noting: Barry also represents Vancouver’s Sedin twins.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)