Jul 24, 2013, 3:58 PM EDT
Another day, another fresh twist to the Roberto Luongo saga.
As first reported by TSN’s Darren Dreger, Luongo has hired Pat Brisson and JP Barry of CAA Sports to be his new representatives.
When it comes to agents, there aren’t any heavier hitters in the hockey world than those two.
What it means for the Canucks isn’t clear. It could simply be that Luongo was unhappy with his former agent, Gilles Lupien, for failing to orchestrate a trade out of Vancouver.
Luongo has nine years remaining on his current contract, so he doesn’t need any help negotiating a new deal. Unless, of course, he’s hoping to find a way out of that contract (which he did say in April he’d “scrap” if he could) and into a new one.
That still seems unlikely — if not impossible — though.
But then, trading Cory Schneider seemed unlikely, too.
Barry tells the Vancouver Sun he plans to meet soon with Canucks general manager Mike Gillis and assistant GM Laurence Gilman; however, he wouldn’t say much more than that.
“I think I am going to have to reserve comment for a while,” Barry said. “We need to get up to speed and take some time. Obviously we are coming on to a difficult file and we need to give him proper advice and we need to take some time here, talk with Roberto, talk with Mike and Laurence. There are media reports and then there’s talking to the parties. We’ll take the time to do that over the next little while here … we’ll try and reach out to them in the next day or two.”
Worth noting: Barry also represents Vancouver’s Sedin twins.
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 11
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 56
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (62)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)