Jul 24, 2013, 3:58 PM EDT
Another day, another fresh twist to the Roberto Luongo saga.
As first reported by TSN’s Darren Dreger, Luongo has hired Pat Brisson and JP Barry of CAA Sports to be his new representatives.
When it comes to agents, there aren’t any heavier hitters in the hockey world than those two.
What it means for the Canucks isn’t clear. It could simply be that Luongo was unhappy with his former agent, Gilles Lupien, for failing to orchestrate a trade out of Vancouver.
Luongo has nine years remaining on his current contract, so he doesn’t need any help negotiating a new deal. Unless, of course, he’s hoping to find a way out of that contract (which he did say in April he’d “scrap” if he could) and into a new one.
That still seems unlikely — if not impossible — though.
But then, trading Cory Schneider seemed unlikely, too.
Barry tells the Vancouver Sun he plans to meet soon with Canucks general manager Mike Gillis and assistant GM Laurence Gilman; however, he wouldn’t say much more than that.
“I think I am going to have to reserve comment for a while,” Barry said. “We need to get up to speed and take some time. Obviously we are coming on to a difficult file and we need to give him proper advice and we need to take some time here, talk with Roberto, talk with Mike and Laurence. There are media reports and then there’s talking to the parties. We’ll take the time to do that over the next little while here … we’ll try and reach out to them in the next day or two.”
Worth noting: Barry also represents Vancouver’s Sedin twins.
- Once again, Carlyle’s Leafs are searching for answers 3
- Video: Sens, Leafs, Habs combine for beautiful tribute following Ottawa shootings 4
- Sleepy Sharks hit new low in loss to Buffalo 11
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 8
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 34
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (83)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? (37)
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case (36)