Jul 24, 2013, 3:58 PM EDT
Another day, another fresh twist to the Roberto Luongo saga.
As first reported by TSN’s Darren Dreger, Luongo has hired Pat Brisson and JP Barry of CAA Sports to be his new representatives.
When it comes to agents, there aren’t any heavier hitters in the hockey world than those two.
What it means for the Canucks isn’t clear. It could simply be that Luongo was unhappy with his former agent, Gilles Lupien, for failing to orchestrate a trade out of Vancouver.
Luongo has nine years remaining on his current contract, so he doesn’t need any help negotiating a new deal. Unless, of course, he’s hoping to find a way out of that contract (which he did say in April he’d “scrap” if he could) and into a new one.
That still seems unlikely — if not impossible — though.
But then, trading Cory Schneider seemed unlikely, too.
Barry tells the Vancouver Sun he plans to meet soon with Canucks general manager Mike Gillis and assistant GM Laurence Gilman; however, he wouldn’t say much more than that.
“I think I am going to have to reserve comment for a while,” Barry said. “We need to get up to speed and take some time. Obviously we are coming on to a difficult file and we need to give him proper advice and we need to take some time here, talk with Roberto, talk with Mike and Laurence. There are media reports and then there’s talking to the parties. We’ll take the time to do that over the next little while here … we’ll try and reach out to them in the next day or two.”
Worth noting: Barry also represents Vancouver’s Sedin twins.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 11
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 9
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 35
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)