Jul 24, 2013, 3:58 PM EST
Another day, another fresh twist to the Roberto Luongo saga.
As first reported by TSN’s Darren Dreger, Luongo has hired Pat Brisson and JP Barry of CAA Sports to be his new representatives.
When it comes to agents, there aren’t any heavier hitters in the hockey world than those two.
What it means for the Canucks isn’t clear. It could simply be that Luongo was unhappy with his former agent, Gilles Lupien, for failing to orchestrate a trade out of Vancouver.
Luongo has nine years remaining on his current contract, so he doesn’t need any help negotiating a new deal. Unless, of course, he’s hoping to find a way out of that contract (which he did say in April he’d “scrap” if he could) and into a new one.
That still seems unlikely — if not impossible — though.
But then, trading Cory Schneider seemed unlikely, too.
Barry tells the Vancouver Sun he plans to meet soon with Canucks general manager Mike Gillis and assistant GM Laurence Gilman; however, he wouldn’t say much more than that.
“I think I am going to have to reserve comment for a while,” Barry said. “We need to get up to speed and take some time. Obviously we are coming on to a difficult file and we need to give him proper advice and we need to take some time here, talk with Roberto, talk with Mike and Laurence. There are media reports and then there’s talking to the parties. We’ll take the time to do that over the next little while here … we’ll try and reach out to them in the next day or two.”
Worth noting: Barry also represents Vancouver’s Sedin twins.
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 32
- Mike Richards clears waivers 31
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 14
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 54
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)