Jul 24, 2013, 10:02 PM EDT
One year from now, Phil Kessel will be an unrestricted free agent.
But to hear him talk about it, the situation is the furthest thing from his mind.
“I haven’t even thought about it yet,” he said on Wednesday, as per TSN. “I’ve still got another year here and we’ll see what happens.”
In February, Kessel made waves via his agent, Wade Arnott, who said the 25-year-old would like to finish his career in Toronto.
“Phil (Kessel) is still a really young man,” Arnott told the SportsNet Fan590. “He really enjoys living in Toronto and playing for the Toronto Maple Leafs.
“This young man lives and breathes hockey. He was very excited to come here four years ago. I think if you asked Phil today, he’d love to finish his career here in Toronto.”
Kessel enjoyed a solid 2013 campaign, arguably his finest with the Leafs.
He led the team in scoring with 52 points in 48 games — his first-ever season averaging more than one point per game — and scored six points in Toronto’s opening-round playoff loss to the Bruins.
In light of that, it’ll be extremely interesting to see what his next deal looks like.
Kessel’s five-year, $27 million deal expires at the end of 2013-14, one that carries an average annual cap hit of $5.4 million.
While it makes him the club’s highest-paid forward next season, it’s in the future where things get dicey: Toronto has $19.5 million committed annually to David Clarkson, Tyler Bozak, James van Riemsdyk and Joffrey Lupul until 2018.
Compounding matters is the fact the club’s second-leading scorer last season, Nazem Kadri, is also in line for a new deal.
His entry-level contract has expired — one that netted him $1.72 million per year — and he’ll be in line for a raise given how well he played last year (44 points in 48 games), his first as a full-fledged member of the Leafs.
“Nothing yet, but I know we’re still talking,” Kadri said about contract negotiations. “As long as there’s progression, that’s the important thing.”
Apr 17, 2014, 8:25 AM EDT
New York, St. Louis, Denver, and San Jose is where it’s at tonight.
Apr 17, 2014, 1:19 AM EDT
A Tyler Seguin bullet, no less.
Apr 17, 2014, 1:08 AM EDT
A tale of two games, really.
Apr 17, 2014, 12:52 AM EDT
“We did it time and time again.”
Apr 17, 2014, 12:26 AM EDT
“It’s one that got by him.”
Apr 17, 2014, 12:03 AM EDT
The trio was big in Wednesday’s Game 1 victory over the Jackets.
Apr 16, 2014, 11:23 PM EDT
It’s bad enough to inspire Jon Cooper’s pity, though.
Apr 16, 2014, 10:59 PM EDT
“We aren’t here just to go to school. We’re here to win.”
Apr 16, 2014, 10:41 PM EDT
After all that star power in regulation …
Apr 16, 2014, 10:22 PM EDT
Pittsburgh scores three unanswered goals to win.
Apr 16, 2014, 10:14 PM EDT
The West’s No. 1 seed takes on the final wild card qualifier.
Apr 16, 2014, 9:22 PM EDT
Did the Penguins deserve a power play or penalty shot?
Apr 16, 2014, 8:50 PM EDT
Get used to these stories of toughness.
Apr 16, 2014, 8:11 PM EDT
Updated with bonus goals for your enjoyment.
Apr 16, 2014, 7:45 PM EDT
Tomas Plekanec spoils Tampa Bay’s lead.
Apr 16, 2014, 7:24 PM EDT
In case there was any doubt.
Apr 16, 2014, 6:46 PM EDT
Unproven goalie vs. a gold-medal goalie in Game 1.
Apr 16, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
A battle between a scrappy underdog and a perplexing favorite.
Apr 16, 2014, 6:18 PM EDT
A little less grit against the Anaheim Ducks.
Apr 16, 2014, 5:16 PM EDT
Not Brandon Pirri.
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 5
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 46
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)