Jul 24, 2013, 7:30 PM EDT
Some good news out of Calgary on Wednesday, as the Flames announced the Saddledome will be sufficiently recovered from flood damage to host NHL games this season.
“From a public standpoint, and from a hockey standpoint, we want everything to be operational. This week was the time to decide if we could proceed as planned,” Flames’ president and CEO Ken King said Wednesday, as per the Globe and Mail.
“The answer is yes.”
In late June, floods throughout Southern Alberta hit the Saddledome hard. Standing water rose to the eighth row of seats, and there was significant damage to kitchen areas and electronic headquarters for the arena’s digital screen scoreboard.
Here’s more, from the Globe:
No official cost has been put on the damage done to the Saddledome. All King would say on the subject was the facility has insurance coverage and that the paperwork is being done.
As with any renovation work, things can go off the rails – unexpected problems can pop up, delays can occur. King repeated all was on time and proceeding well, although he did acknowledge backup plans had been discussed.
Beyond that, he declined comment.
The Flames’ preseason schedule gets underway with split squad games on Sept. 14 (one in Edmonton, one in Calgary).
From there, the team has games on the 16th and 17th to be played in Saskatchewan (Saskatoon and Regina, respectively) before returning to the Saddledome for its two final exhibition games — against the Rangers on Sept. 23, and the Coyotes on Sept. 25.
Calgary’s home opener for the 2013-14 regular season is scheduled for Oct. 6, against the Canucks.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 15
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 20
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 65
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 26
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)