Jul 24, 2013, 11:08 AM EDT
Weise played 40 games for the Canucks in 2013, mostly on the fourth line, scoring three goals with three assists and 43 penalty minutes.
New Canucks coach John Tortorella has said he wants Vancouver to play with more of an edge in 2013-14, which could mean an opportunity for Weise.
Of note, coach and player have been together before with the New York Rangers.
“He did a wonderful job when he came into New York,” said Weise in June, before Tortorella had been hired by the Canucks. “They had a good team, but they didn’t get the extra push from the coach for whatever reason. He came in and changed the culture there. He demands a lot from players. I think you can kind of look around and see that his style is kind of fading out of the coaching. There’s a way to be hard on guys and to push guys, but I think nowadays you’ve got to be a little more of a communicator. You can’t just put guys in the dirt and expect guys to get out of there themselves.”
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 30
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5