Jul 24, 2013, 11:08 AM EDT
Weise played 40 games for the Canucks in 2013, mostly on the fourth line, scoring three goals with three assists and 43 penalty minutes.
New Canucks coach John Tortorella has said he wants Vancouver to play with more of an edge in 2013-14, which could mean an opportunity for Weise.
Of note, coach and player have been together before with the New York Rangers.
“He did a wonderful job when he came into New York,” said Weise in June, before Tortorella had been hired by the Canucks. “They had a good team, but they didn’t get the extra push from the coach for whatever reason. He came in and changed the culture there. He demands a lot from players. I think you can kind of look around and see that his style is kind of fading out of the coaching. There’s a way to be hard on guys and to push guys, but I think nowadays you’ve got to be a little more of a communicator. You can’t just put guys in the dirt and expect guys to get out of there themselves.”
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 16
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 46
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 16
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 44
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 9
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 12
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 21
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 24
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 39