Jul 24, 2013, 11:08 AM EST
Weise played 40 games for the Canucks in 2013, mostly on the fourth line, scoring three goals with three assists and 43 penalty minutes.
New Canucks coach John Tortorella has said he wants Vancouver to play with more of an edge in 2013-14, which could mean an opportunity for Weise.
Of note, coach and player have been together before with the New York Rangers.
“He did a wonderful job when he came into New York,” said Weise in June, before Tortorella had been hired by the Canucks. “They had a good team, but they didn’t get the extra push from the coach for whatever reason. He came in and changed the culture there. He demands a lot from players. I think you can kind of look around and see that his style is kind of fading out of the coaching. There’s a way to be hard on guys and to push guys, but I think nowadays you’ve got to be a little more of a communicator. You can’t just put guys in the dirt and expect guys to get out of there themselves.”
- Leafs scoring slump hits historical low 20
- Video: Rangers’ Lundqvist takes puck to the neck 10
- Zamboni driver arrested for DUI, allegedly cleaned ice surface while drunk 16
- Mike Richards trying to make the best of being sent to the AHL 13
- Price leads Habs past Caps with second straight shutout 10
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 27
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 61
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4