Jul 24, 2013, 9:02 AM EDT
Less than a year ago Pavel Bure was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame and he’ll receive another tremendous honor in the near future.
The Vancouver Canucks have confirmed that they will retire Bure’s No. 10 during the 2013-14 campaign.
“It will for sure be one of the moments of my life,” Bure said. “It’s a huge honor, it’s one of those things that I never even dreamed about when I started to play hockey.
“Even when I was playing hockey for the Canucks I remember Stan Smyl was getting the same ceremony and it still didn’t even cross my mind in those days that one-day I’d be there. Fortunately good things have happened and it’s a big thing.”
Bure spent the first 428 games of his career with the Vancouver Canucks and scored 254 goals and 478 points in that span. He’s the franchise leader in terms of career goals per game and points per contest.
His tenure with Vancouver ended with him demanding a trade, but Canucks owner Francesco Aquilini previously defended Bure over what happened.
“He never had problems with the fans,” Aquilini said in April. “He had problems with management, but never the fans.”
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 3
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 35
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 25
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 90
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- On the hot seat: McPhee will ‘talk in a couple of days’ 21
- Bruins are 7/2 favorites to win the Stanley Cup; Blues next at 6/1 49
- End of an era: Trotz out as Nashville head coach 40
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (90)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)