Jul 24, 2013, 9:02 AM EDT
Less than a year ago Pavel Bure was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame and he’ll receive another tremendous honor in the near future.
The Vancouver Canucks have confirmed that they will retire Bure’s No. 10 during the 2013-14 campaign.
“It will for sure be one of the moments of my life,” Bure said. “It’s a huge honor, it’s one of those things that I never even dreamed about when I started to play hockey.
“Even when I was playing hockey for the Canucks I remember Stan Smyl was getting the same ceremony and it still didn’t even cross my mind in those days that one-day I’d be there. Fortunately good things have happened and it’s a big thing.”
Bure spent the first 428 games of his career with the Vancouver Canucks and scored 254 goals and 478 points in that span. He’s the franchise leader in terms of career goals per game and points per contest.
His tenure with Vancouver ended with him demanding a trade, but Canucks owner Francesco Aquilini previously defended Bure over what happened.
“He never had problems with the fans,” Aquilini said in April. “He had problems with management, but never the fans.”
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 11
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 36
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 17
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 29
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)