Jul 23, 2013, 12:02 PM EDT
On Monday, USA Hockey announced its 48-player invite list to August’s Olympic orientation camp.
On Tuesday, GM David Poile gave hope to those not on it.
“Just because a player isn’t at camp doesn’t mean they won’t make the Olympic Team,” Poile explained. “We’re going to make our decisions based on who is playing best, who deserves to make it.
“Our list goes well beyond 48 players at camp.”
That’s good news for a number of players overlooked for camp selection, set to take place from Aug. 26-27 at Kettler Capitals IcePlex in Arlington, Va.
On defense, a number of veterans were left off the list. Dallas’ Alex Goligoski — the NHL’s fourth-leading U.S. defenseman scorer last season, with 27 points — Tampa Bay’s Matt Carle, Columbus’ James Wisniewski and a pair of 2010 holdovers, Carolina’s Tim Gleason and current UFA Ryan Whitney, were not asked to attend.
Perhaps the most curious snub on defense was Pittsburgh’s Rob Scuderi.
Scuderi, 34, was brought back to Pittsburgh on July 5 after four seasons in Los Angeles. The Pens paid heftily (four years, $13.5 million) with GM Ray Shero saying it was wrong to let Scuderi walk after the 2009 Stanley Cup win.
“It was a mistake to let Scuderi go on my part,” Shero said at the time. “To have the chance at a do-over and bring Rob back, I think that’s a good day for us.”
Given Shero’s role on the U.S. managerial team and Dan Byslma’s role as head coach, it was surprising not to see Scuderi at least get a camp invite.
At forward, snubs were less prevalent, though the likes of Minnesota’s Jason Pominville, Columbus’ Brandon Dubinsky, Tampa Bay’s Ryan Malone, Vancouver’s David Booth and Calgary’s Lee Stempniak were all passed on.
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 0
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 47
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 22
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 17
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 14
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 4
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)