Jul 23, 2013, 2:40 PM EDT
According to David Perron, there were a number of times people got the wrong impression of him during his six-year stay in St. Louis.
As such, he was often misunderstood.
“I believe I was a lot actually,” Perron told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, two weeks after his trade to Edmonton.
The 26th overall pick in 2007, Perron showed dazzling skill and playmaking ability during his time with the Blues, but occasionally rubbed people the wrong way.
The Post-Dispatch’s Jeremy Rutherford points to a few moments — the “white skates” incident, calling out Doug Weight, a shooting-pucks-at-a-sporting-goods-store story — and there was the time Perron was dispatched to the fourth line in a key playoff-clinching game against Colorado late last season.
Former Blues head coach Andy Murray chalked these incidents up to Perron being relatively inexperienced upon making the team as a 19-year-old in 2007-08.
He only played one year of major junior hockey (with QMJHL Lewiston) and, three years prior to playing his first NHL game, had been playing at the Midget B level in his hometown of Fleurimont, Quebec.
Perron also achieved success rather quickly, scoring a career-high 50 points in sophomore season (and scoring a career-high 21 goals in 2011-12, despite missing major time with a concussion.)
“I think he was misunderstood (in that) people thought he should know all of these things about being a professional. Well, he didn’t know,” Murray explained. “He had a lot to learn about being a professional.
“So what’s misunderstood for me is the fact that everybody thought he should know all these things about being a professional right away and couldn’t understand when he did some things that were a little bit different.”
Sep 22, 2014, 10:13 PM EDT
Mitts were dropped. Frequently.
Sep 22, 2014, 9:16 PM EDT
Good start for a guy on a two-way deal.
Sep 22, 2014, 8:29 PM EDT
Like Vancouver, for example.
Sep 22, 2014, 6:53 PM EDT
“We’ve got to wait to see how it heals.”
Sep 22, 2014, 5:53 PM EDT
He’s been unable to skate since camp started.
Sep 22, 2014, 5:11 PM EDT
“You grow up playing hockey and you’re thinking ‘oh, I just want to play the game, it’s so much fun.’ Then you realize it is your job.”
Sep 22, 2014, 4:49 PM EDT
But it “shouldn’t be a long-term, lingering thing.”
Sep 22, 2014, 3:41 PM EDT
Randy Carlyle is making some changes to the way Toronto defends.
Sep 22, 2014, 2:20 PM EDT
Currently there are 16 teams in the East and 14 in the West.
Sep 22, 2014, 2:02 PM EDT
“I think it’s been terribly mishandled by the player and the agent.”
Sep 22, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT
Meanwhile, Kurt Overhardt has a warning for the frustrated Blue Jackets management.
Sep 22, 2014, 1:15 PM EDT
“We know he has a great shot and that’s a bonus for him.”
Sep 22, 2014, 12:11 PM EDT
But Peter Karmanos wants to retain control of the team.
Sep 22, 2014, 11:39 AM EDT
“It’s nice having a little more freedom, in that regard, especially for the creativity that’s on our team,” says Beau Bennett.
Sep 22, 2014, 10:45 AM EDT
“I think what we’re going to do as a team will be right up his alley.”
Sep 22, 2014, 10:02 AM EDT
He’ll get tougher assignments with Kimmo Timonen sidelined indefinitely.
Sep 22, 2014, 8:58 AM EDT
Colorado is counting on the duo to be very effective this season.
Sep 22, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Monday’s collection of links.
Sep 21, 2014, 11:05 PM EDT
Head coach Todd McLellan thinks he can play, at least.
Sep 21, 2014, 10:10 PM EDT
“But sometimes you have to lose what you have to realize what you had.”
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 2
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)