Jul 23, 2013, 2:40 PM EDT
According to David Perron, there were a number of times people got the wrong impression of him during his six-year stay in St. Louis.
As such, he was often misunderstood.
“I believe I was a lot actually,” Perron told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, two weeks after his trade to Edmonton.
The 26th overall pick in 2007, Perron showed dazzling skill and playmaking ability during his time with the Blues, but occasionally rubbed people the wrong way.
The Post-Dispatch’s Jeremy Rutherford points to a few moments — the “white skates” incident, calling out Doug Weight, a shooting-pucks-at-a-sporting-goods-store story — and there was the time Perron was dispatched to the fourth line in a key playoff-clinching game against Colorado late last season.
Former Blues head coach Andy Murray chalked these incidents up to Perron being relatively inexperienced upon making the team as a 19-year-old in 2007-08.
He only played one year of major junior hockey (with QMJHL Lewiston) and, three years prior to playing his first NHL game, had been playing at the Midget B level in his hometown of Fleurimont, Quebec.
Perron also achieved success rather quickly, scoring a career-high 50 points in sophomore season (and scoring a career-high 21 goals in 2011-12, despite missing major time with a concussion.)
“I think he was misunderstood (in that) people thought he should know all of these things about being a professional. Well, he didn’t know,” Murray explained. “He had a lot to learn about being a professional.
“So what’s misunderstood for me is the fact that everybody thought he should know all these things about being a professional right away and couldn’t understand when he did some things that were a little bit different.”
Jun 30, 2015, 9:59 PM EDT
But this isn’t the first time such a scenario has been reported.
Jun 30, 2015, 9:33 PM EDT
San Jose acquired him from Boston earlier in the day.
Jun 30, 2015, 8:50 PM EDT
He was set to become a restricted free agent on Wednesday.
Jun 30, 2015, 8:27 PM EDT
Detroit’s creating an opportunity for one of its young forwards.
Jun 30, 2015, 8:06 PM EDT
Arizona is getting back its former center.
Jun 30, 2015, 8:04 PM EDT
He’s set to become a restricted free agent on Wednesday.
Jun 30, 2015, 7:36 PM EDT
He hasn’t been charged with a crime, but is reportedly being investigated.
Jun 30, 2015, 7:20 PM EDT
Its reportedly a one-way deal worth $800,000.
Jun 30, 2015, 6:50 PM EDT
The forward was a part of a seven-player trade on Tuesday.
Jun 30, 2015, 6:37 PM EDT
Won NHL’s coach of the year in 2013 with Ottawa.
Jun 30, 2015, 6:07 PM EDT
Where he’ll be reunited with former teammate Ryan Kesler.
Jun 30, 2015, 5:45 PM EDT
Calgary’s GM responded to comments in a Boston Herald story regarding defenseman Dougie Hamilton.
Jun 30, 2015, 5:25 PM EDT
A total of seven players involved in Tuesday’s trade.
Jun 30, 2015, 3:54 PM EDT
RFA defenseman appeared in a career-high 76 games last year.
Jun 30, 2015, 3:39 PM EDT
Rangers and Bruins let their respective rearguards walk, thereby deepening the free agent pool.
Jun 30, 2015, 3:15 PM EDT
So says his agent.
Jun 30, 2015, 2:41 PM EDT
Jun 30, 2015, 2:04 PM EDT
Cap hit around $5.75 million.
Jun 30, 2015, 1:31 PM EDT
Former first-round pick is relieved after a “stressful” last few days.
Jun 30, 2015, 1:30 PM EDT
Who might be interested?
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 0
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 31
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 19
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 82
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 18
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 46
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 5
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (82)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)