Jul 23, 2013, 12:14 PM EDT
It’s early, but this has already been quite the week for Trevor Lewis.
Fresh off his surprise invite to Team USA’s Olympic orientation camp, Lewis avoided salary arbitration on Tuesday by agreeing to a one-year, $1.325 million deal with the Los Angeles Kings.
Lewis, 26, had a solid 2013 campaign for the Kings, posting a career-high in points (14) despite the lockout-shortened season. He averaged over 15 minutes per night and appeared in all 18 of Los Angeles’ playoff games, one year after scoring nine points in 20 postseason contests during the 2012 Stanley Cup championship run.
The Kings’ first-round pick (17th overall) in 2006, Lewis has emerged as a key part of the club’s bottom-six forward group — and his deal could spell the end of Kyle Clifford‘s time in Los Angeles.
Clifford, 22 is currently a RFA but doesn’t have arbitration rights. The Kings are fairly tight up against the cap and may considering moving him, considering he’ll probably be looking for a raise on the $870,000 he made last season after matching Lewis’ output (14 points in 48 games).
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 21
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 16
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 27
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 61
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 58
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (65)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)