Jul 23, 2013, 12:14 PM EDT
It’s early, but this has already been quite the week for Trevor Lewis.
Fresh off his surprise invite to Team USA’s Olympic orientation camp, Lewis avoided salary arbitration on Tuesday by agreeing to a one-year, $1.325 million deal with the Los Angeles Kings.
Lewis, 26, had a solid 2013 campaign for the Kings, posting a career-high in points (14) despite the lockout-shortened season. He averaged over 15 minutes per night and appeared in all 18 of Los Angeles’ playoff games, one year after scoring nine points in 20 postseason contests during the 2012 Stanley Cup championship run.
The Kings’ first-round pick (17th overall) in 2006, Lewis has emerged as a key part of the club’s bottom-six forward group — and his deal could spell the end of Kyle Clifford‘s time in Los Angeles.
Clifford, 22 is currently a RFA but doesn’t have arbitration rights. The Kings are fairly tight up against the cap and may considering moving him, considering he’ll probably be looking for a raise on the $870,000 he made last season after matching Lewis’ output (14 points in 48 games).
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 1
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 4
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 26
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 41
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 11
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (68)