Jul 23, 2013, 4:20 PM EDT
Thomas McCollum will be back for another year with the Detroit organization.
McCollum signed a one-year deal with AHL Grand Rapids on Tuesday, the club announced. The deal comes after McCollum, 23, set career bests last season in wins (18), goals against average (2.63), save percentage (.904) and shutouts (2) — helping the Griffins to a stellar regular season, but failing to make an impact en route to the team’s Calder Cup championship.
McCollum — who has one NHL game on his resume — served as Petr Mrazek’s backup in the playoffs and didn’t play a single game, suggesting Czech netminder has passed McCollum as the more prized young goalie prospect in the Detroit system.
That said, McCollum is only 23 and still has pedigree.
While he enjoyed a good regular season at the AHL level last year, he was pegged as the No. 2 behind the 21-year-old Mrazek and watched as Mrazek made the jump to the NHL last season for a brief spell as Jimmy Howard‘s backup.
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 0
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 7
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 7
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 17
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 13
- Sens tell fans to stop throwing hamburgers 35
- NHL confirms working with Isles, Leddy regarding Twitter threats (Updated) 16
- Snider: Patience is ‘great with the kids,’ but not with ‘the team we have on the ice’ 11
- Panthers’ playoff hopes take massive blow vs. Lightning 8
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Asst. GM Guerin admits Penguins need to lay off the refs (51)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)