Jul 23, 2013, 4:20 PM EST
Thomas McCollum will be back for another year with the Detroit organization.
McCollum signed a one-year deal with AHL Grand Rapids on Tuesday, the club announced. The deal comes after McCollum, 23, set career bests last season in wins (18), goals against average (2.63), save percentage (.904) and shutouts (2) — helping the Griffins to a stellar regular season, but failing to make an impact en route to the team’s Calder Cup championship.
McCollum — who has one NHL game on his resume — served as Petr Mrazek’s backup in the playoffs and didn’t play a single game, suggesting Czech netminder has passed McCollum as the more prized young goalie prospect in the Detroit system.
That said, McCollum is only 23 and still has pedigree.
While he enjoyed a good regular season at the AHL level last year, he was pegged as the No. 2 behind the 21-year-old Mrazek and watched as Mrazek made the jump to the NHL last season for a brief spell as Jimmy Howard‘s backup.
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 12
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 104
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 16
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 24
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (104)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)