Jul 22, 2013, 9:01 AM EST
Since the Vancouver Canucks decided to reverse their goaltending strategy and keep Roberto Luongo instead of Cory Schneider, there’s been speculation about how Luongo must feel. The Canucks made it clear that they wanted to get rid of him and it looked like he had embraced that, but it never happened.
There’s even been some speculation that he might refuse to report to training camp rather than go through another season with the Vancouver Canucks, but that seems unlikely for a number of reasons. One of them is that he still reportedly has ambitions about playing in the 2014 Winter Olympics and while you might argue that he shouldn’t make Team Canada’s roster, that will be a certainty if he holds out this season.
But there’s also a potential drawback for Vancouver, as Tony Gallagher of the Vancouver Province speculates:
The bad news would then become the fatigue factor, something that’s already been thoroughly examined with respect to the Sedin twins but ignored in the case of Luongo, because nobody thought he’d be in a Canucks uniform this season.
There are all sorts of statistics which indicate a goalie who plays huge amounts during the season tends not to win the Cup. Jonathan Quick had 69 starts in 2012 and won but he definitely bucked the trend, which only Martin Brodeur seems to have managed in any sort of long-term way. And when the Kings won, Quick was nine years younger than Luongo will be next April.
Canucks fans will remember that Luongo struggled after returning from Team Canada’s 2010 Gold Medal victory and ended up with a 3.23 GAA and .895 save percentage in the 2010 playoffs. And that was during an Olympics that were held in Vancouver. With Sochi, Russia hosting next year, there will be the potential for jet lag that disrupts a player’s rhythm on top of that fatigue.
Of course, Luongo isn’t the only player that faces this concern, but he’s a particularly noteworthy example because the Canucks will likely be counting on him to start in the vast majority of games over the inexperienced Eddie Lack.
Mar 5, 2015, 1:47 AM EST
Four straight wins for Anaheim.
Mar 5, 2015, 1:04 AM EST
Fighting for tops in the Metropolitan Division.
Mar 5, 2015, 12:19 AM EST
What a roll he and the Sens are on.
Mar 4, 2015, 11:36 PM EST
He’s been consistently putting the puck in the net at the NHL level since 1996.
Mar 4, 2015, 11:06 PM EST
What better way to make an impression on new teammates.
Mar 4, 2015, 10:40 PM EST
Mar 4, 2015, 9:49 PM EST
Big Buff out could be a Big Loss for Winnipeg.
Mar 4, 2015, 9:26 PM EST
Good news for NYR.
Mar 4, 2015, 8:48 PM EST
Big Buff doing Big Buff things.
Mar 4, 2015, 8:26 PM EST
Also, for causing “significant injury.”
Mar 4, 2015, 7:23 PM EST
8 p.m. ET, on NBCSN
Mar 4, 2015, 6:50 PM EST
“It’s definitely an issue that needs a collective focus from our managers and the league in terms of how to deal with it.”
Mar 4, 2015, 6:18 PM EST
“It’s probably undeniable that down the road when [Chara] is done with his career, if Bergeron is here it would be pretty hard to not make him the next captain.”
Mar 4, 2015, 5:30 PM EST
An Original Six matchup at the Joe.
Mar 4, 2015, 4:43 PM EST
Has appeared in just three games for the Blue Jackets since being traded from Toronto.
Mar 4, 2015, 4:13 PM EST
‘Hawks are hoping he can “recapture” his early-season form.
Mar 4, 2015, 3:32 PM EST
Hurt it in practice.
Mar 4, 2015, 3:04 PM EST
Another small crowd last night at BB&T Center.
Mar 4, 2015, 2:28 PM EST
News and notes from around the crease…
Mar 4, 2015, 2:09 PM EST
“You can never have too many d-men at this time of the year.”
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)