Jul 22, 2013, 9:01 AM EDT
Since the Vancouver Canucks decided to reverse their goaltending strategy and keep Roberto Luongo instead of Cory Schneider, there’s been speculation about how Luongo must feel. The Canucks made it clear that they wanted to get rid of him and it looked like he had embraced that, but it never happened.
There’s even been some speculation that he might refuse to report to training camp rather than go through another season with the Vancouver Canucks, but that seems unlikely for a number of reasons. One of them is that he still reportedly has ambitions about playing in the 2014 Winter Olympics and while you might argue that he shouldn’t make Team Canada’s roster, that will be a certainty if he holds out this season.
But there’s also a potential drawback for Vancouver, as Tony Gallagher of the Vancouver Province speculates:
The bad news would then become the fatigue factor, something that’s already been thoroughly examined with respect to the Sedin twins but ignored in the case of Luongo, because nobody thought he’d be in a Canucks uniform this season.
There are all sorts of statistics which indicate a goalie who plays huge amounts during the season tends not to win the Cup. Jonathan Quick had 69 starts in 2012 and won but he definitely bucked the trend, which only Martin Brodeur seems to have managed in any sort of long-term way. And when the Kings won, Quick was nine years younger than Luongo will be next April.
Canucks fans will remember that Luongo struggled after returning from Team Canada’s 2010 Gold Medal victory and ended up with a 3.23 GAA and .895 save percentage in the 2010 playoffs. And that was during an Olympics that were held in Vancouver. With Sochi, Russia hosting next year, there will be the potential for jet lag that disrupts a player’s rhythm on top of that fatigue.
Of course, Luongo isn’t the only player that faces this concern, but he’s a particularly noteworthy example because the Canucks will likely be counting on him to start in the vast majority of games over the inexperienced Eddie Lack.
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 61
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 28
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 49
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 32
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (65)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)