Jul 22, 2013, 1:02 PM EDT
Wiercioch was a restricted free agent coming off an impressive rookie season. With 19 points in 42 games, the 22-year-old finished second among NHL rookie defensemen in points, behind only Justin Schultz (27) in Edmonton.
While Wiercioch’s deal may seem a bit rich in relation to, say, Jake Muzzin, who just signed a two-year, $2 million extension with the Kings, it may still end up a bargain — especially in the latter part of the contract — if Wiercioch continues to improve and the salary cap rises.
Wiercioch was Ottawa’s second-round selection (42nd overall) in the 2008 NHL Draft.
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 15
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 9
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 40
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 4
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Miller suffers upper body injury in Bruins win 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Discuss: Avs beat B’s with last-second — literally! — goal (64)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Panthers set another record with low attendance (56)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (53)