Jul 22, 2013, 1:02 PM EDT
Wiercioch was a restricted free agent coming off an impressive rookie season. With 19 points in 42 games, the 22-year-old finished second among NHL rookie defensemen in points, behind only Justin Schultz (27) in Edmonton.
While Wiercioch’s deal may seem a bit rich in relation to, say, Jake Muzzin, who just signed a two-year, $2 million extension with the Kings, it may still end up a bargain — especially in the latter part of the contract — if Wiercioch continues to improve and the salary cap rises.
Wiercioch was Ottawa’s second-round selection (42nd overall) in the 2008 NHL Draft.
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 0
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- The King is back: Lundqvist starts for Rangers Saturday 7
- Five big games to watch this weekend 7
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 16
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 58
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)