Jul 22, 2013, 1:02 PM EDT
Wiercioch was a restricted free agent coming off an impressive rookie season. With 19 points in 42 games, the 22-year-old finished second among NHL rookie defensemen in points, behind only Justin Schultz (27) in Edmonton.
While Wiercioch’s deal may seem a bit rich in relation to, say, Jake Muzzin, who just signed a two-year, $2 million extension with the Kings, it may still end up a bargain — especially in the latter part of the contract — if Wiercioch continues to improve and the salary cap rises.
Wiercioch was Ottawa’s second-round selection (42nd overall) in the 2008 NHL Draft.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 17
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)