Jul 22, 2013, 1:02 PM EDT
Wiercioch was a restricted free agent coming off an impressive rookie season. With 19 points in 42 games, the 22-year-old finished second among NHL rookie defensemen in points, behind only Justin Schultz (27) in Edmonton.
While Wiercioch’s deal may seem a bit rich in relation to, say, Jake Muzzin, who just signed a two-year, $2 million extension with the Kings, it may still end up a bargain — especially in the latter part of the contract — if Wiercioch continues to improve and the salary cap rises.
Wiercioch was Ottawa’s second-round selection (42nd overall) in the 2008 NHL Draft.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 60
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 35
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 31
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 19
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 53
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 29
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)