Jul 22, 2013, 1:02 PM EDT
Wiercioch was a restricted free agent coming off an impressive rookie season. With 19 points in 42 games, the 22-year-old finished second among NHL rookie defensemen in points, behind only Justin Schultz (27) in Edmonton.
While Wiercioch’s deal may seem a bit rich in relation to, say, Jake Muzzin, who just signed a two-year, $2 million extension with the Kings, it may still end up a bargain — especially in the latter part of the contract — if Wiercioch continues to improve and the salary cap rises.
Wiercioch was Ottawa’s second-round selection (42nd overall) in the 2008 NHL Draft.
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 11
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 14
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 32
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 44
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 50
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 31
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 28
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 53
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 10