Jul 22, 2013, 3:19 PM EST
Back in June, former AEG executive Tim Leiweke angered some Kings fans when he said Los Angeles wasn’t a hockey town.
Now that Leiweke’s in Toronto, as the new president and CEO of MLSE, he’s learning what happens when the NHL team is the big dog in town.
Last week, Leiweke made a number of bold statements during various media interviews, from admitting he already had the parade route planned out for when the Maple Leafs win their first Stanley Cup since 1967 to sharing his plans to rid the ACC hallways of pictures of the team’s more glorious past.
His bravado was not appreciated by everyone. including at least one former Leaf, 94-year-old Wally Stanowski, who thought that Leiweke may have “lost his brain.”
So today, Leiweke offered some clarification.
“I understand our history and I honor our history and I’m proud to be a part of it now,” he told the National Post. “But I also understand that at some point or another, we’ve got to go win another Cup. And I think the way we’re going to do that is build an organization that dreams about that each and every day. That’s all. It’s just that simple.”
As for the parade comment, he’s not backing away from that. He will, however, “think about it a little more quietly, that’s all.”
- PHT Morning Skate: Saying goodbye to Martin Brodeur (plus a brutal Sidney Crosby typo) 1
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 49
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 14
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 57
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 17
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 127
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (127)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (57)