Jul 22, 2013, 3:19 PM EST
Back in June, former AEG executive Tim Leiweke angered some Kings fans when he said Los Angeles wasn’t a hockey town.
Now that Leiweke’s in Toronto, as the new president and CEO of MLSE, he’s learning what happens when the NHL team is the big dog in town.
Last week, Leiweke made a number of bold statements during various media interviews, from admitting he already had the parade route planned out for when the Maple Leafs win their first Stanley Cup since 1967 to sharing his plans to rid the ACC hallways of pictures of the team’s more glorious past.
His bravado was not appreciated by everyone. including at least one former Leaf, 94-year-old Wally Stanowski, who thought that Leiweke may have “lost his brain.”
So today, Leiweke offered some clarification.
“I understand our history and I honor our history and I’m proud to be a part of it now,” he told the National Post. “But I also understand that at some point or another, we’ve got to go win another Cup. And I think the way we’re going to do that is build an organization that dreams about that each and every day. That’s all. It’s just that simple.”
As for the parade comment, he’s not backing away from that. He will, however, “think about it a little more quietly, that’s all.”
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 6
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 8
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 46
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)