Jul 22, 2013, 1:24 PM EDT
Many of the names you’ll recognize. Others, not so much.
Per the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, here are the 35 candidates to represent host Russia at the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi.
Defensemen (12): Evgeny Biryukov, Slava Voynov, Anton Volchenkov, Sergei Gonchar, Denis Denisov, Alexei Emelin, Andrei Markov, Evgeny Medvedev, Nikita Nikitin, Ilya Nikulin, Eugene Ryasensky, Fedor Tyutin.
Forwards (18): Artem Anisimov, Michael Varnakov, Pavel Datsyuk, Ilya Kovalchuk, Denis Kokarev, Evgeny Kuznetsov, Nikolai Kulemin, Evgeni Malkin, Alexander Ovechkin, Alexander Perezhogin, Alexander Popov, Alexander Radulov, Alexander Semin, Vladimir Tarasenko, Alexei Tereshchenko, Viktor Tikhonov, Vadim Shipachev, Nail Yakupov.
The team will be coached by Zinetula Bilyaletdinov with the above candidates gathering Aug. 23-24 in Sochi.
Boasting the reigning Vezina Trophy winner in goal (Bobrovsky) and multiple stars up front (Malkin, Ovechkin, Kovalchuk, Datsyuk), the big question mark for the Russians is expected to be the defense.
Also of note, no invite for goalie Ilya Bryzgalov.
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 79
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5
- Wild assistant Sydor arrested for suspected drunk driving, child endangerment 30
- It’s Montreal Canadiens day at PHT 14
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? 32