Jul 22, 2013, 1:24 PM EST
Many of the names you’ll recognize. Others, not so much.
Per the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, here are the 35 candidates to represent host Russia at the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi.
Defensemen (12): Evgeny Biryukov, Slava Voynov, Anton Volchenkov, Sergei Gonchar, Denis Denisov, Alexei Emelin, Andrei Markov, Evgeny Medvedev, Nikita Nikitin, Ilya Nikulin, Eugene Ryasensky, Fedor Tyutin.
Forwards (18): Artem Anisimov, Michael Varnakov, Pavel Datsyuk, Ilya Kovalchuk, Denis Kokarev, Evgeny Kuznetsov, Nikolai Kulemin, Evgeni Malkin, Alexander Ovechkin, Alexander Perezhogin, Alexander Popov, Alexander Radulov, Alexander Semin, Vladimir Tarasenko, Alexei Tereshchenko, Viktor Tikhonov, Vadim Shipachev, Nail Yakupov.
The team will be coached by Zinetula Bilyaletdinov with the above candidates gathering Aug. 23-24 in Sochi.
Boasting the reigning Vezina Trophy winner in goal (Bobrovsky) and multiple stars up front (Malkin, Ovechkin, Kovalchuk, Datsyuk), the big question mark for the Russians is expected to be the defense.
Also of note, no invite for goalie Ilya Bryzgalov.
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 1
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 4
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 11
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 14
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8
- Could Vermette land in Washington? 7
- Pens confirm Maatta has the mumps 5
- As holiday roster freeze approaches, Bruins linked to Oshie, Kassian 27
- Video: Pacioretty taken to hospital, reportedly no hearing expected for Stoner after questionable hit 35