Jul 22, 2013, 9:15 PM EDT
The Calgary Flames signed the most prominent of their three 2013 first-rounders on Monday, handing Sean Monahan a three-year entry-level contract.
“Getting Sean signed prior to Rookie Camp and Main Camp has always been our priority and we are very pleased to have him in the fold,” Flames GM Jay Feaster said. “From our very first interaction with him, Sean has demonstrated a seriousness of purpose and a steadfast resolve to be the very best player he can be, and his character and work ethic have continued to shine through in his preparation this summer. Not only is Sean a very good hockey player, but he is a great person as well. He had a solid showing at our recent development camp, and as we shared with him afterward, we look forward to watching him play at our rookie tournament in Penticton and then attempt to compete for a spot at main camp in Calgary.”
Calgary selected the center sixth overall. Click here to get to know the 18-year-old prospect a little better.
His contract carries a $1.775 million cap hit.
Going deeper on the details, the deal pays him $832,500 at the NHL level and $70K in the AHL. Each year includes a $92,500 signing bonus and performance bonuses up to $850K.
The Flames selected wingers Emile Poirier (22nd) and Morgan Klimchuk (28th) with their other two first-round picks, so the organization’s hope is that they took significant steps in a begrudging rebuild this summer.
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 2
- Rangers hang on, even series with Caps 55
- Video: Ovechkin splits ‘D’, scores while falling 31
- Flames’ Gaudreau wasn’t happy with benching in Game 1 2
- Video: Blackhawks hold off Wild to take series lead 23
- Video: Therrien fuming after Bolts appear offside before OT winner 45
- Video: Lightning bolt to series lead on Kucherov’s double OT winner 14
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 8
- Report: BOG to vote on Vegas expansion in September 1
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits 102
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (102)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappointment as Wild advance (99)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)