Jul 22, 2013, 9:15 PM EDT
The Calgary Flames signed the most prominent of their three 2013 first-rounders on Monday, handing Sean Monahan a three-year entry-level contract.
“Getting Sean signed prior to Rookie Camp and Main Camp has always been our priority and we are very pleased to have him in the fold,” Flames GM Jay Feaster said. “From our very first interaction with him, Sean has demonstrated a seriousness of purpose and a steadfast resolve to be the very best player he can be, and his character and work ethic have continued to shine through in his preparation this summer. Not only is Sean a very good hockey player, but he is a great person as well. He had a solid showing at our recent development camp, and as we shared with him afterward, we look forward to watching him play at our rookie tournament in Penticton and then attempt to compete for a spot at main camp in Calgary.”
Calgary selected the center sixth overall. Click here to get to know the 18-year-old prospect a little better.
His contract carries a $1.775 million cap hit.
Going deeper on the details, the deal pays him $832,500 at the NHL level and $70K in the AHL. Each year includes a $92,500 signing bonus and performance bonuses up to $850K.
The Flames selected wingers Emile Poirier (22nd) and Morgan Klimchuk (28th) with their other two first-round picks, so the organization’s hope is that they took significant steps in a begrudging rebuild this summer.
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 9
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 10
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 9
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 10
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 32
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)