Jul 22, 2013, 9:15 PM EDT
The Calgary Flames signed the most prominent of their three 2013 first-rounders on Monday, handing Sean Monahan a three-year entry-level contract.
“Getting Sean signed prior to Rookie Camp and Main Camp has always been our priority and we are very pleased to have him in the fold,” Flames GM Jay Feaster said. “From our very first interaction with him, Sean has demonstrated a seriousness of purpose and a steadfast resolve to be the very best player he can be, and his character and work ethic have continued to shine through in his preparation this summer. Not only is Sean a very good hockey player, but he is a great person as well. He had a solid showing at our recent development camp, and as we shared with him afterward, we look forward to watching him play at our rookie tournament in Penticton and then attempt to compete for a spot at main camp in Calgary.”
Calgary selected the center sixth overall. Click here to get to know the 18-year-old prospect a little better.
His contract carries a $1.775 million cap hit.
Going deeper on the details, the deal pays him $832,500 at the NHL level and $70K in the AHL. Each year includes a $92,500 signing bonus and performance bonuses up to $850K.
The Flames selected wingers Emile Poirier (22nd) and Morgan Klimchuk (28th) with their other two first-round picks, so the organization’s hope is that they took significant steps in a begrudging rebuild this summer.
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 9
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 13
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 29
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 8
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)