Jul 22, 2013, 9:15 PM EDT
The Calgary Flames signed the most prominent of their three 2013 first-rounders on Monday, handing Sean Monahan a three-year entry-level contract.
“Getting Sean signed prior to Rookie Camp and Main Camp has always been our priority and we are very pleased to have him in the fold,” Flames GM Jay Feaster said. “From our very first interaction with him, Sean has demonstrated a seriousness of purpose and a steadfast resolve to be the very best player he can be, and his character and work ethic have continued to shine through in his preparation this summer. Not only is Sean a very good hockey player, but he is a great person as well. He had a solid showing at our recent development camp, and as we shared with him afterward, we look forward to watching him play at our rookie tournament in Penticton and then attempt to compete for a spot at main camp in Calgary.”
Calgary selected the center sixth overall. Click here to get to know the 18-year-old prospect a little better.
His contract carries a $1.775 million cap hit.
Going deeper on the details, the deal pays him $832,500 at the NHL level and $70K in the AHL. Each year includes a $92,500 signing bonus and performance bonuses up to $850K.
The Flames selected wingers Emile Poirier (22nd) and Morgan Klimchuk (28th) with their other two first-round picks, so the organization’s hope is that they took significant steps in a begrudging rebuild this summer.
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 19
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 30
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 26
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)