Jul 22, 2013, 10:13 PM EDT
The Phoenix Coyotes re-signed five players on Monday, most notably inking defenseman David Runblad to a two-year, one-way contract.
Phoenix also handed defenseman Mark Louis a two-year, two-way contract while giving one-year, two-way deals to forwards Brett Hextall and Brandon McMillan and blueliner Mathieu Brodeur.
The financial details haven’t been shared, so the most interesting tidbit is that Rundblad, 22, receives a one-way pact. The offensive defenseman receives a nod as a full-time NHLer next season after playing 50 games in the AHL versus just eight with the Coyotes in 2013.
Rundblad struggled in his limited time with Phoenix (one assist and a -5 rating in eight contests) while he put up nice numbers for the Portland Pirates (39 points in 50 games).
At such a young age, the Coyotes are reasonable to believe that the Swede can get the hang of things at the NHL level, possibly starting in 2013-14.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 8
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 3
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 24
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 19
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)