Jul 22, 2013, 10:13 PM EST
The Phoenix Coyotes re-signed five players on Monday, most notably inking defenseman David Runblad to a two-year, one-way contract.
Phoenix also handed defenseman Mark Louis a two-year, two-way contract while giving one-year, two-way deals to forwards Brett Hextall and Brandon McMillan and blueliner Mathieu Brodeur.
The financial details haven’t been shared, so the most interesting tidbit is that Rundblad, 22, receives a one-way pact. The offensive defenseman receives a nod as a full-time NHLer next season after playing 50 games in the AHL versus just eight with the Coyotes in 2013.
Rundblad struggled in his limited time with Phoenix (one assist and a -5 rating in eight contests) while he put up nice numbers for the Portland Pirates (39 points in 50 games).
At such a young age, the Coyotes are reasonable to believe that the Swede can get the hang of things at the NHL level, possibly starting in 2013-14.
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 2
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 16
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 58
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 28
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 81
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (81)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)