Jul 22, 2013, 10:13 PM EST
The Phoenix Coyotes re-signed five players on Monday, most notably inking defenseman David Runblad to a two-year, one-way contract.
Phoenix also handed defenseman Mark Louis a two-year, two-way contract while giving one-year, two-way deals to forwards Brett Hextall and Brandon McMillan and blueliner Mathieu Brodeur.
The financial details haven’t been shared, so the most interesting tidbit is that Rundblad, 22, receives a one-way pact. The offensive defenseman receives a nod as a full-time NHLer next season after playing 50 games in the AHL versus just eight with the Coyotes in 2013.
Rundblad struggled in his limited time with Phoenix (one assist and a -5 rating in eight contests) while he put up nice numbers for the Portland Pirates (39 points in 50 games).
At such a young age, the Coyotes are reasonable to believe that the Swede can get the hang of things at the NHL level, possibly starting in 2013-14.
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 20
- BREAKING: Flames fire Feaster 33
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 15
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 36
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 77
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)