Jul 22, 2013, 12:26 PM EDT
To nobody’s surprise, Red Wings head coach Mike Babcock will be back coaching Team Canada in the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia.
Hockey Canada made it official today, adding that Blues coach Ken Hitchcock, Bruins coach Claude Julien, and new Stars coach Lindy Ruff will join Babcock as assistants.
Babcock, Hitchcock, and Ruff were part of the coaching staff in 2010 when Team Canada won gold in Vancouver. Julien is new to the group, replacing Jacques Lemaire.
“Canada’s coaching staff has a great deal of international and professional experience for the challenge that awaits us in Sochi,” said executive director Steve Yzerman in a release. “Mike did a great job setting the foundation for our gold medal win in Vancouver, and I know that with Ken, Claude and Lindy working with him, our team will be very well prepared.”
“I am extremely proud to represent my country and coach Team Canada,” said Babcock. “To have had the opportunity to share the Olympics with family, friends and all Canadians in Vancouver was something very special. To win gold in Canada was a dream come true. In February, we will have a whole set of new challenges with a new group of players and staff. I am very excited to be working with Claude, Lindy, Ken, the management group, support staff and players to defend our Olympic gold medal.”
Hockey Canada also confirmed there will be an orientation camp from Aug. 25-28 in Calgary.
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 0
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 33
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 23
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 90
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- On the hot seat: McPhee will ‘talk in a couple of days’ 21
- Bruins are 7/2 favorites to win the Stanley Cup; Blues next at 6/1 48
- End of an era: Trotz out as Nashville head coach 40
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (90)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)