Jul 22, 2013, 12:26 PM EDT
To nobody’s surprise, Red Wings head coach Mike Babcock will be back coaching Team Canada in the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia.
Hockey Canada made it official today, adding that Blues coach Ken Hitchcock, Bruins coach Claude Julien, and new Stars coach Lindy Ruff will join Babcock as assistants.
Babcock, Hitchcock, and Ruff were part of the coaching staff in 2010 when Team Canada won gold in Vancouver. Julien is new to the group, replacing Jacques Lemaire.
“Canada’s coaching staff has a great deal of international and professional experience for the challenge that awaits us in Sochi,” said executive director Steve Yzerman in a release. “Mike did a great job setting the foundation for our gold medal win in Vancouver, and I know that with Ken, Claude and Lindy working with him, our team will be very well prepared.”
“I am extremely proud to represent my country and coach Team Canada,” said Babcock. “To have had the opportunity to share the Olympics with family, friends and all Canadians in Vancouver was something very special. To win gold in Canada was a dream come true. In February, we will have a whole set of new challenges with a new group of players and staff. I am very excited to be working with Claude, Lindy, Ken, the management group, support staff and players to defend our Olympic gold medal.”
Hockey Canada also confirmed there will be an orientation camp from Aug. 25-28 in Calgary.
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 8
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 55
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 32
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 9
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 17
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 48
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 22
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8