Jul 21, 2013, 4:55 PM EST
Carolina had a surprise standout at their prospect camp this week in the form of an undrafted Russian invitee from the OHL.
Forward Sergey Tolchinsky surprised many with his play and as Chip Alexander of the Raleigh News & Observer reports, Hurricanes management certainly took notice.
“He’s probably the biggest surprise or explosive guy this week who made people look at him,” Kirk Muller said. “He didn’t get drafted – let’s be honest, probably people said it was his size. There’s a good example of you look at him, you get to know him, he’s got a great attitude and is a fun-loving guy and he plays hard and he produces.
“He’s a guy that I would say that really made us turn our heads.”
As for his size, that could be an issue. At 5’8″ 164 pounds, he’s not at all big. Then again, sometimes you don’t need to be big to have success in the NHL. Just ask Tampa’s Martin St. Louis or Ottawa’s Cory Conacher about that.
Last year, his first season with the Soo Greyhounds, Tolchinsky showed he’s got game scoring 26 goals with 25 assists. He’ll have time to develop more and impress other teams should Carolina not move to sign him. At the very least, he’s left a great impression for an undrafted player.
(Photo: OHL Images)
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 1
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 16
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)