Jul 21, 2013, 4:55 PM EDT
Carolina had a surprise standout at their prospect camp this week in the form of an undrafted Russian invitee from the OHL.
Forward Sergey Tolchinsky surprised many with his play and as Chip Alexander of the Raleigh News & Observer reports, Hurricanes management certainly took notice.
“He’s probably the biggest surprise or explosive guy this week who made people look at him,” Kirk Muller said. “He didn’t get drafted – let’s be honest, probably people said it was his size. There’s a good example of you look at him, you get to know him, he’s got a great attitude and is a fun-loving guy and he plays hard and he produces.
“He’s a guy that I would say that really made us turn our heads.”
As for his size, that could be an issue. At 5’8″ 164 pounds, he’s not at all big. Then again, sometimes you don’t need to be big to have success in the NHL. Just ask Tampa’s Martin St. Louis or Ottawa’s Cory Conacher about that.
Last year, his first season with the Soo Greyhounds, Tolchinsky showed he’s got game scoring 26 goals with 25 assists. He’ll have time to develop more and impress other teams should Carolina not move to sign him. At the very least, he’s left a great impression for an undrafted player.
(Photo: OHL Images)
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 17
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 30
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 32
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)