Jul 21, 2013, 10:12 PM EDT
Ralph Krueger experienced a tough break in being fired as the Edmonton Oilers’ head coach after only one season, but his luck hasn’t been all bad. Sportsnet’s John Shannon reports that he’ll have some sort of role on Team Canada’s 2014 Winter Olympics coaching staff.
It’s unclear what exact title the 53-year-old will carry.
Krueger has a considerable background in international competition, though much of that experience didn’t come with Canada. He was the head coach of the Swiss national team from 1997-2010.
Shannon backs up earlier reports that Mike Babcock will be the head coach while Ken Hitchcock, Claude Julien and Lindy ruff will serve as assistants.
- Report: No suspension for Lucic spear of DeKeyser 22
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 5
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 113
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 54
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 7
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 14
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 41
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 20
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 13
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 17