Jul 21, 2013, 4:10 PM EDT
Players can be excited by free agency. Sometimes they’re so excited to sign in a new place they’ll make sure to do it from anywhere.
Such is the case for one of the newest Islanders Peter Regin.
Regin hails from Denmark and fellow countryman and best friend Frans Nielsen provided all the motivation he needed to want to sign on Long Island as a story on a Danish website shares. The gang at Lighthouse Hockey were kind enough to point out how quickly he wanted to get it done.
In the article, Regin is quoted discussing how he long had the Isles in his sights, so the decision when free agency opened was a quick one that he made while in a taxi cab on the way back from the golf course.
“Taxi! I need to sign with the Islanders, pronto!”
It’s a great anecdote but the part of this that would make it more like something out of a storybook would be if Regin can stay healthy and teams up with Nielsen to prove Denmark isn’t just about Hamlet.
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 0
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 7
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 2
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 13
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 19
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Preds’ Weber not travelling to Chicago 15
- Report: Flames requested a review of Engelland’s instigator 17
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 15
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 33
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (97)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)