Jul 21, 2013, 4:10 PM EST
Players can be excited by free agency. Sometimes they’re so excited to sign in a new place they’ll make sure to do it from anywhere.
Such is the case for one of the newest Islanders Peter Regin.
Regin hails from Denmark and fellow countryman and best friend Frans Nielsen provided all the motivation he needed to want to sign on Long Island as a story on a Danish website shares. The gang at Lighthouse Hockey were kind enough to point out how quickly he wanted to get it done.
In the article, Regin is quoted discussing how he long had the Isles in his sights, so the decision when free agency opened was a quick one that he made while in a taxi cab on the way back from the golf course.
“Taxi! I need to sign with the Islanders, pronto!”
It’s a great anecdote but the part of this that would make it more like something out of a storybook would be if Regin can stay healthy and teams up with Nielsen to prove Denmark isn’t just about Hamlet.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 4
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)