Jul 21, 2013, 4:10 PM EDT
Players can be excited by free agency. Sometimes they’re so excited to sign in a new place they’ll make sure to do it from anywhere.
Such is the case for one of the newest Islanders Peter Regin.
Regin hails from Denmark and fellow countryman and best friend Frans Nielsen provided all the motivation he needed to want to sign on Long Island as a story on a Danish website shares. The gang at Lighthouse Hockey were kind enough to point out how quickly he wanted to get it done.
In the article, Regin is quoted discussing how he long had the Isles in his sights, so the decision when free agency opened was a quick one that he made while in a taxi cab on the way back from the golf course.
“Taxi! I need to sign with the Islanders, pronto!”
It’s a great anecdote but the part of this that would make it more like something out of a storybook would be if Regin can stay healthy and teams up with Nielsen to prove Denmark isn’t just about Hamlet.
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 31
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 66
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 23
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 25
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 47
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 136
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 40
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 51