Jul 21, 2013, 4:10 PM EST
Players can be excited by free agency. Sometimes they’re so excited to sign in a new place they’ll make sure to do it from anywhere.
Such is the case for one of the newest Islanders Peter Regin.
Regin hails from Denmark and fellow countryman and best friend Frans Nielsen provided all the motivation he needed to want to sign on Long Island as a story on a Danish website shares. The gang at Lighthouse Hockey were kind enough to point out how quickly he wanted to get it done.
In the article, Regin is quoted discussing how he long had the Isles in his sights, so the decision when free agency opened was a quick one that he made while in a taxi cab on the way back from the golf course.
“Taxi! I need to sign with the Islanders, pronto!”
It’s a great anecdote but the part of this that would make it more like something out of a storybook would be if Regin can stay healthy and teams up with Nielsen to prove Denmark isn’t just about Hamlet.
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 0
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 24
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)