Jul 21, 2013, 10:55 PM EDT
With an impressive 183 regular season games under his belt, the Swede has an unusually large resume for a player who’s only 22. Still, his growing game and a first-line role alongside Alex Ovechkin and Nicklas Backstrom last season might make it tough to gauge his value.
The Washington Post’s Neil Greenberg believes he should garner $2.5-$3 million per year, for one:
Taken as an 82-game pace, Johansson likely outperforms both Duchene and Wilson in points while averaging the same time on ice per game. Of the three pending RFAs, only the Leaf’s Nazem Kadri outscored Johansson this past season. Plus, the Rangers signed Carl Hagelin (sixth-round pick of the 2007 draft) to a two-year, $4.5 million contract, pushing Johansson’s fair market value into the $2.5 to $3 million range for the 2013-14 season.
The Caps have about $5.67 million in cap space according to Cap Geek, so that would fit under the ceiling (if not the team’s internal budget).
Of course, with a player this young, term is also a factor. Either way, the team said it would match an offer sheet if it came his way, so it seems like they’re poised to get something done.
- Tortorella calls meltdown ‘a kick in the teeth’ 4
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 11
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 35
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)