Jul 21, 2013, 6:15 PM EDT
The Anaheim Ducks moved away from their Disney 1993 origins in 2006-07, prompting some to label them the “(once Mighty) Ducks.” The team’s success kind of ruined that joke, however.
Fans who miss the old duck goalie mask motif and unique color scheme should be delighted by the team’s talk of a “Throwback night” to celebrate the team’s 20th anniversary, then.
Here’s the somewhat vague rundown from Friday:
As part of the 20th anniversary celebrations, the 2013-14 regular season will include a number of special events at Honda Center. Planned occasions will include look backs at great moments in Ducks history and retro merchandise available for purchase. In addition, the club will host a “Throwback Night” near the start of the 2013-14 regular season, paying homage to the inaugural 1993-94 Mighty Ducks of Anaheim season. The club will have further announcements surrounding the festivities at a later date.
The “further announcements surrounding the festivities” line produced some interesting speculation from hockey sweater-obsessed blog Icethetics:
Anyway, it sounds promising. And for what it’s worth, the Ducks could get double-use out of such a throwback jersey. Don’t forget that they play the Kings outdoors on Jan. 25, 2014. That’ll probably involve a throwback jersey of some kind just as every other outdoor NHL game has in the past six years.
Bold prediction: it probably won’t look like this.
While most of this stuff is either low on details or purely speculative, we at least know what the Ducks’ 20th anniversary logo looks like:
This leaves us with many questions, including: is Anaheim’s 20-year logo better than what Florida revealed a couple months ago?
(H/T to John Hoven of Mayor’s Manor.)
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 3
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 11
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 17
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)