Jul 21, 2013, 6:15 PM EST
The Anaheim Ducks moved away from their Disney 1993 origins in 2006-07, prompting some to label them the “(once Mighty) Ducks.” The team’s success kind of ruined that joke, however.
Fans who miss the old duck goalie mask motif and unique color scheme should be delighted by the team’s talk of a “Throwback night” to celebrate the team’s 20th anniversary, then.
Here’s the somewhat vague rundown from Friday:
As part of the 20th anniversary celebrations, the 2013-14 regular season will include a number of special events at Honda Center. Planned occasions will include look backs at great moments in Ducks history and retro merchandise available for purchase. In addition, the club will host a “Throwback Night” near the start of the 2013-14 regular season, paying homage to the inaugural 1993-94 Mighty Ducks of Anaheim season. The club will have further announcements surrounding the festivities at a later date.
The “further announcements surrounding the festivities” line produced some interesting speculation from hockey sweater-obsessed blog Icethetics:
Anyway, it sounds promising. And for what it’s worth, the Ducks could get double-use out of such a throwback jersey. Don’t forget that they play the Kings outdoors on Jan. 25, 2014. That’ll probably involve a throwback jersey of some kind just as every other outdoor NHL game has in the past six years.
Bold prediction: it probably won’t look like this.
While most of this stuff is either low on details or purely speculative, we at least know what the Ducks’ 20th anniversary logo looks like:
This leaves us with many questions, including: is Anaheim’s 20-year logo better than what Florida revealed a couple months ago?
(H/T to John Hoven of Mayor’s Manor.)
- Mike Richards clears waivers 12
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 9
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 53
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)