Jul 21, 2013, 6:15 PM EDT
The Anaheim Ducks moved away from their Disney 1993 origins in 2006-07, prompting some to label them the “(once Mighty) Ducks.” The team’s success kind of ruined that joke, however.
Fans who miss the old duck goalie mask motif and unique color scheme should be delighted by the team’s talk of a “Throwback night” to celebrate the team’s 20th anniversary, then.
Here’s the somewhat vague rundown from Friday:
As part of the 20th anniversary celebrations, the 2013-14 regular season will include a number of special events at Honda Center. Planned occasions will include look backs at great moments in Ducks history and retro merchandise available for purchase. In addition, the club will host a “Throwback Night” near the start of the 2013-14 regular season, paying homage to the inaugural 1993-94 Mighty Ducks of Anaheim season. The club will have further announcements surrounding the festivities at a later date.
The “further announcements surrounding the festivities” line produced some interesting speculation from hockey sweater-obsessed blog Icethetics:
Anyway, it sounds promising. And for what it’s worth, the Ducks could get double-use out of such a throwback jersey. Don’t forget that they play the Kings outdoors on Jan. 25, 2014. That’ll probably involve a throwback jersey of some kind just as every other outdoor NHL game has in the past six years.
Bold prediction: it probably won’t look like this.
While most of this stuff is either low on details or purely speculative, we at least know what the Ducks’ 20th anniversary logo looks like:
This leaves us with many questions, including: is Anaheim’s 20-year logo better than what Florida revealed a couple months ago?
(H/T to John Hoven of Mayor’s Manor.)
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 37
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 17
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 12
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 16
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 59
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 23
- Video: Sharks’ Brown runs Voynov into Quick, scrum ensues 2
- Opportunistic Rangers pull away from Flyers, take 1-0 series lead 63
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 1) 1