Jul 21, 2013, 6:15 PM EDT
The Anaheim Ducks moved away from their Disney 1993 origins in 2006-07, prompting some to label them the “(once Mighty) Ducks.” The team’s success kind of ruined that joke, however.
Fans who miss the old duck goalie mask motif and unique color scheme should be delighted by the team’s talk of a “Throwback night” to celebrate the team’s 20th anniversary, then.
Here’s the somewhat vague rundown from Friday:
As part of the 20th anniversary celebrations, the 2013-14 regular season will include a number of special events at Honda Center. Planned occasions will include look backs at great moments in Ducks history and retro merchandise available for purchase. In addition, the club will host a “Throwback Night” near the start of the 2013-14 regular season, paying homage to the inaugural 1993-94 Mighty Ducks of Anaheim season. The club will have further announcements surrounding the festivities at a later date.
The “further announcements surrounding the festivities” line produced some interesting speculation from hockey sweater-obsessed blog Icethetics:
Anyway, it sounds promising. And for what it’s worth, the Ducks could get double-use out of such a throwback jersey. Don’t forget that they play the Kings outdoors on Jan. 25, 2014. That’ll probably involve a throwback jersey of some kind just as every other outdoor NHL game has in the past six years.
Bold prediction: it probably won’t look like this.
While most of this stuff is either low on details or purely speculative, we at least know what the Ducks’ 20th anniversary logo looks like:
This leaves us with many questions, including: is Anaheim’s 20-year logo better than what Florida revealed a couple months ago?
(H/T to John Hoven of Mayor’s Manor.)
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 0
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 3
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 46
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)