Jul 21, 2013, 7:20 PM EDT
Read, 27, could become an unrestricted free agent if the Flyers don’t sign him to a contract extension. This coming season will be his third in the NHL, but he’s made the most of his time so far, scoring 35 goals and 71 points in 121 games.
He averaged a shade more than 18 minutes per game in 2013, so his agent could argue he’s worth quite a bit. Then again, the Flyers might be wise to seek a “prove it” season since he’s managed an impressive – but perhaps unsustainable – 15.4 percent shooting efficiency so far.
Schenn is one of those players who has generated hype for long enough that it’s surprising he’s only 21. He generated a career-high 26 points in 47 games in 2013 after managing 18 in 54 during his first campaign with Philly in 2011-12.
Unlike Bemidji State University product/undrafted free agent Read, Schenn shares Couturier’s distinction of being a high draft pick. That hype might give Schenn a little boost at the negotiating table.
With Read’s potential unrestricted status and the looming possibility of a breakthrough for Schenn, one can see why the Flyers might want to follow in the footsteps of the Couturier extension by snatching those two up sooner rather than later.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)