Jul 21, 2013, 7:20 PM EDT
Read, 27, could become an unrestricted free agent if the Flyers don’t sign him to a contract extension. This coming season will be his third in the NHL, but he’s made the most of his time so far, scoring 35 goals and 71 points in 121 games.
He averaged a shade more than 18 minutes per game in 2013, so his agent could argue he’s worth quite a bit. Then again, the Flyers might be wise to seek a “prove it” season since he’s managed an impressive – but perhaps unsustainable – 15.4 percent shooting efficiency so far.
Schenn is one of those players who has generated hype for long enough that it’s surprising he’s only 21. He generated a career-high 26 points in 47 games in 2013 after managing 18 in 54 during his first campaign with Philly in 2011-12.
Unlike Bemidji State University product/undrafted free agent Read, Schenn shares Couturier’s distinction of being a high draft pick. That hype might give Schenn a little boost at the negotiating table.
With Read’s potential unrestricted status and the looming possibility of a breakthrough for Schenn, one can see why the Flyers might want to follow in the footsteps of the Couturier extension by snatching those two up sooner rather than later.
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 45
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 24
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 11
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)