Jul 21, 2013, 7:20 PM EDT
Read, 27, could become an unrestricted free agent if the Flyers don’t sign him to a contract extension. This coming season will be his third in the NHL, but he’s made the most of his time so far, scoring 35 goals and 71 points in 121 games.
He averaged a shade more than 18 minutes per game in 2013, so his agent could argue he’s worth quite a bit. Then again, the Flyers might be wise to seek a “prove it” season since he’s managed an impressive – but perhaps unsustainable – 15.4 percent shooting efficiency so far.
Schenn is one of those players who has generated hype for long enough that it’s surprising he’s only 21. He generated a career-high 26 points in 47 games in 2013 after managing 18 in 54 during his first campaign with Philly in 2011-12.
Unlike Bemidji State University product/undrafted free agent Read, Schenn shares Couturier’s distinction of being a high draft pick. That hype might give Schenn a little boost at the negotiating table.
With Read’s potential unrestricted status and the looming possibility of a breakthrough for Schenn, one can see why the Flyers might want to follow in the footsteps of the Couturier extension by snatching those two up sooner rather than later.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 3
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 8
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 17
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 25
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)