Jul 21, 2013, 7:20 PM EDT
Read, 27, could become an unrestricted free agent if the Flyers don’t sign him to a contract extension. This coming season will be his third in the NHL, but he’s made the most of his time so far, scoring 35 goals and 71 points in 121 games.
He averaged a shade more than 18 minutes per game in 2013, so his agent could argue he’s worth quite a bit. Then again, the Flyers might be wise to seek a “prove it” season since he’s managed an impressive – but perhaps unsustainable – 15.4 percent shooting efficiency so far.
Schenn is one of those players who has generated hype for long enough that it’s surprising he’s only 21. He generated a career-high 26 points in 47 games in 2013 after managing 18 in 54 during his first campaign with Philly in 2011-12.
Unlike Bemidji State University product/undrafted free agent Read, Schenn shares Couturier’s distinction of being a high draft pick. That hype might give Schenn a little boost at the negotiating table.
With Read’s potential unrestricted status and the looming possibility of a breakthrough for Schenn, one can see why the Flyers might want to follow in the footsteps of the Couturier extension by snatching those two up sooner rather than later.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 32
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 9
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (33)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)