Jul 20, 2013, 10:50 AM EDT
The release of the NHL schedule is an exciting day for fans, but it’s one where teams can look ahead to see how many miles they’ll be logging on the road. For some teams, that means spending a bit more time in airports than others.
Dirk Hoag of On The Forecheck released his annual report on how many miles each team will travel for the upcoming season and if you’re a Sharks player you might want to look away.
San Jose will travel the most of any team next year logging 57,612 miles. Phoenix was second with 52,633 and Colorado third with 49,007. For a frame of reference, the league average this year is 41,390.
Teams that don’t get to complain? Look no further than the tri-state area as the New York Rangers (29,839) and New York Islanders (29,933) are the only two teams with fewer than 30,000 miles to travel.
As for the teams who moved East, Detroit and Columbus are seeing a huge break in travel. The Red Wings will travel over 7,500 fewer miles this season while the Blue Jackets have over 6,200 fewer. Less time spent in airports is a great thing for any team.
As for back-to-back sets of games, New Jersey (22) and Carolina (20) can file their complaints as they’ve got the most in the league while Colorado, San Jose, and Winnipeg all have just 10 sets of back-to-back games.
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 4
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Report: Dal Colle signs with Islanders (Updated) 1
- Bridge built: Blues lock up Schwartz to two-year deal reportedly worth $4.7M 12
- Comedian Will Arnett at Leafs practice 8
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)