Jul 20, 2013, 12:06 PM EDT
Sam Gagner is looking to cash in on arbitration in a big way.
TSN’s Darren Dreger reports the Oilers center is seeking $5.5 million from the Oilers should the two sides wind up in front of an arbitrator. CBC’s Elliotte Friedman reports the Oilers are seeking $3.5 million. Gagner’s hearing is scheduled for Monday.
Before you go bonkers over a guy who has never cracked 50 points in a season asking for so much money, just know it’s all part of the process. Arbitration is like exaggerated negotiating and Gagner is setting his target higher than he’s likely worth.
That said, he’s still just 23 years-old so his prime seasons may be about to begin. He’s coming off a one-year deal that paid $3.2 million and is obviously seeking a raise. If an arbitrator looks at things like King Solomon, a one-year deal of $4.3 million could wind up being what happens.
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 7
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 4
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Nolan skates Sabres, says the time for ‘taking it easy is over’ 37
- Report: Gryba, Tropp avoid punishment after getting tossed for hits 6
- What they’re saying about the Sabres (and it’s not good) 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Caps, Red Wings battle after hotly contested 13-14 series 5
- Miller wins 300th, Canes finish Oct. without single victory 7
- Video: Backes crashes into Daley, falls to ice hard (Updated) 5
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (61)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)