Jul 20, 2013, 12:06 PM EDT
Sam Gagner is looking to cash in on arbitration in a big way.
TSN’s Darren Dreger reports the Oilers center is seeking $5.5 million from the Oilers should the two sides wind up in front of an arbitrator. CBC’s Elliotte Friedman reports the Oilers are seeking $3.5 million. Gagner’s hearing is scheduled for Monday.
Before you go bonkers over a guy who has never cracked 50 points in a season asking for so much money, just know it’s all part of the process. Arbitration is like exaggerated negotiating and Gagner is setting his target higher than he’s likely worth.
That said, he’s still just 23 years-old so his prime seasons may be about to begin. He’s coming off a one-year deal that paid $3.2 million and is obviously seeking a raise. If an arbitrator looks at things like King Solomon, a one-year deal of $4.3 million could wind up being what happens.
- Hitch needs ‘time to reflect’ before making decision on future 11
- Rutherford admits mistakes, but has support of Penguins ownership 6
- Wings’ Kronwall has hearing today for hit on Kucherov 32
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 37
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 26
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 10
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 31
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 80
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)