Jul 20, 2013, 12:06 PM EDT
Sam Gagner is looking to cash in on arbitration in a big way.
TSN’s Darren Dreger reports the Oilers center is seeking $5.5 million from the Oilers should the two sides wind up in front of an arbitrator. CBC’s Elliotte Friedman reports the Oilers are seeking $3.5 million. Gagner’s hearing is scheduled for Monday.
Before you go bonkers over a guy who has never cracked 50 points in a season asking for so much money, just know it’s all part of the process. Arbitration is like exaggerated negotiating and Gagner is setting his target higher than he’s likely worth.
That said, he’s still just 23 years-old so his prime seasons may be about to begin. He’s coming off a one-year deal that paid $3.2 million and is obviously seeking a raise. If an arbitrator looks at things like King Solomon, a one-year deal of $4.3 million could wind up being what happens.
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 6
- In praise of John Tavares 14
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 21
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 18
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 39
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 55
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36