Jul 20, 2013, 8:07 PM EDT
Friday’s agreement between the NHL, NHLPA, IOC and IIHF confirmed that NHL players will participate in the 2014 Olympics, but Sportsnet’s Chris Johnston reports that it could have broader implications for the league in Europe.
Johnston believes this can open the door for more NHL games in Europe and possibly a 2015 World Cup.
“I hope that this is the first step in a multi-year deal, which will involve World Cups, Victoria Cups and other new events internationally,” Hockey Canada president Bob Nicholson said. “I think that there is a great opportunity for the IIHF, NHL and NHLPA.”
Sidney Crosby ranks among the players who would embrace more opportunities to represent Canada.
“I think it would be great,” Crosby said Friday afternoon. “I think expanding (the international calendar) and playing different teams, representing Canada, the more that you get an opportunity to do that I think it’s great for everyone.”
“I see that happening in the future.”
The 2014 Olympics are exciting enough.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)