Jul 20, 2013, 6:05 PM EDT
About six weeks ago, it was clear the Edmonton Oilers wanted to part with players such as Ales Hemsky. With most NHL teams’ cap situations being the way they are, the Edmonton Journal points out that Hemsky’s likely to stick with the team – at least for part of 2013.
Whether that’s a good thing or not is a matter of debate. Last Sunday, Oilers GM Craig MacTavish provided a vague reading of the 29-year-old’s future on Brad Bartko’s podcast,* highlighting the toll that multiple years of losing can take on a player.
“That can, at times, really pick away at a player’s spirit and his passion and really his ability to believe that our team is going to get ourselves out of it, because it’s been seven years really of some negative reinforcement,” MacTavish said. “So it can be difficult. It’s certainly not something that cannot be overcome by the player or our organization.”
“But when you haven’t won, you’re going to try to make some changes and whether Ales will be part of that remains to be seen.”
With a $5.5 million salary and $5 million cap hit in the last year of his deal, it wouldn’t be surprising to see Hemsky become trade fodder. At the moment, it seems like the Oilers might need to wait to make a move, though.
Some believe that might end up being a blessing in disguise.
* – Transcribed by the Edmonton Journal.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 6
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 3
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 30
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)