Jul 20, 2013, 12:10 AM EDT
It might be the middle of July, but National Hockey League training camp somehow doesn’t seem that far away.
And so the ongoing issue of goaltending equipment reductions has once again been brought to the forefront of discussion.
Here is a snippet of what Woodley reported earlier this week. Read the full version here.
According to several sources close to the ongoing equipment talks, the NHL Players’ Association informally approved a reduction in the overall height of goalie pads at its meetings last week after an internal survey showed strong support for change. Unfortunately, that polling – and therefore the approval – wasn’t specific enough for the NHL, leaving questions about interpretation and implementation of the new pad height restrictions, while also failing to address the League’s request for smaller kneepads.
The debate about reducing the size of goaltender equipment has coincided with a reduction in goal scoring throughout the league.
In June, Globe and Mail hockey reporter James Mirtle and the Globe and Mail reported that shots in the NHL post-season have mostly been on the rise over the past couple of years, but that scoring has declined.
While it appears members of the players’ union are in favor reduction in overall height of goalie pads, the goaltenders themselves have their own concerns.
“I don’t have a problem with change, as long as the safety is the main focus,” New York Rangers goalie Henrik Lundqvist told InGoal Magazine.
“You might be able to cut a few things but we are getting close to how much you can push it. Now because of the changes I’m getting hit in places where in the past I was protected.”
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 3
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 23
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)