Jul 20, 2013, 1:00 AM EDT
The NBC Sports Network will exclusively showcase some of the fiercest and historic rivalries in the National Hockey League this upcoming season.
NBC Sports Group announced Friday that the network will carry 24 games throughout the 2013-14 campaign as part of its exclusive Wednesday Night Rivalry coverage, which returns for a second consecutive season.
The Buffalo Sabres and Detroit Red Wings have the honor of beginning the weekly rivalry night, as they battle on Oct. 2.
Perhaps the most talked about rivalry game in the opening month of the season will be between the Boston Bruins and Pittsburgh Penguins on Oct. 30.
Iginla, of course, signed with the Bruins – the team he declined a trade to before approving the move to Pittsburgh – as an unrestricted free agent.
Oh, the intrigue.
The rivalry night coverage will also feature one team from north of the border – the Montreal Canadiens will host the Bruins on March 12.
Of all the rivalries in the NHL, the Canadiens and Bruins might have the most longstanding contempt for each other, dating well back to the Original Six era.
- WATCH LIVE: Kings at Blackhawks 1
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 1
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 21
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 13
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 18
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 7