Jul 20, 2013, 2:15 PM EST
Winnipeg Jets GM Kevin Cheveldayoff is spending his next two weeks looking to re-sign three key players ahead of arbitration.
Forwards Bryan Little and Blake Wheeler as well as defenseman Zach Bogosian could all wind up taking the team to an arbitrator but as Cheveldayoff tells Tim Campbell of the Winnipeg Free Press, he wants to make sure it doesn’t go that far.
“Our focus is on trying to come to deals with all of these players,” Cheveldayoff said. “We’ve been fortunate to come to deals with two of them (Eric Tangradi and Paul Postma, who also filed). We’re continuing talking.”
While they did take care of business with those two, the deals they’ll have to work out with the other three will be far more substantial. After all, Wheeler and Little are top-line players and Bogosian is a top-pair defenseman. These deals won’t come cheap.
As for the arbitration schedule, Little’s hearing would be up first on Wednesday, Wheeler on July 29, and Bogosian on August 2. Look at those as the default deadline for each player.
- Video: ‘The message is not being heard’ when it comes to illegal hits, suspensions 28
- Video: Kunitz collides with Rangers’ goalie Lundqvist in overtime (Updated) 44
- Discuss: Penguins outlast Rangers in the shootout on NBCSN Rivalry Night 41
- Video: Jagr passes Yzerman for eighth on NHL goals list 11
- Wild put Harding on IR to undergo change in MS treatment 15
- Nonis: I’m not firing Carlyle 14
- Steen agrees to extension with Blues — three years, $17.4 million 17
- Engelland suspended five games for ‘reckless’ Abdelkader headshot 41
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: So many bad contracts, coaches on the hot seat, the NHL in Vegas? and more! 24
- Caps’ Wilson to have hearing for Schenn hit 46
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (123)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (101)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)