Jul 20, 2013, 4:55 PM EDT
Team USA’s Olympic Orientation Camp on August 26 and 27 near Washington D.C. won’t be a full-blown audition to be on the team.
As Chuck Gormley of CSNWashington shares, issues with insuring player’s contracts will keep the 40 or so players from participating in full-blown practices at Kettler Capitals Iceplex in Virginia.
With the camp taking place just a few weeks before NHL training camps open, it’s not worth the risk of injury to have them go all out. USA Hockey will instead focus on other things when they meet next month.
“The camp will give us a chance to get our players, coaches, management and team staff together in preparation for Sochi,” said Jim Johannson, assistant executive director of hockey operations for USA Hockey and a two-time Olympian. “We’ll have more details surrounding the camp to announce in the weeks ahead.”
As of now, USA Hockey says the players will work with youth hockey groups and show off the new Team USA jersey, but the last thing they’ll do is find out how everyone plays against each other.
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 14
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 15
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 37
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)