Jul 20, 2013, 4:55 PM EDT
Team USA’s Olympic Orientation Camp on August 26 and 27 near Washington D.C. won’t be a full-blown audition to be on the team.
As Chuck Gormley of CSNWashington shares, issues with insuring player’s contracts will keep the 40 or so players from participating in full-blown practices at Kettler Capitals Iceplex in Virginia.
With the camp taking place just a few weeks before NHL training camps open, it’s not worth the risk of injury to have them go all out. USA Hockey will instead focus on other things when they meet next month.
“The camp will give us a chance to get our players, coaches, management and team staff together in preparation for Sochi,” said Jim Johannson, assistant executive director of hockey operations for USA Hockey and a two-time Olympian. “We’ll have more details surrounding the camp to announce in the weeks ahead.”
As of now, USA Hockey says the players will work with youth hockey groups and show off the new Team USA jersey, but the last thing they’ll do is find out how everyone plays against each other.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)