Jul 20, 2013, 1:05 PM EDT
Couturier, 20, had one more year left on his entry-level deal with the team and rather than deal with possibly cranky negotiations next summer, the two sides came together now to get things done.
After a largely successful rookie season, Couturier came back to earth a bit last year with just four goals and 11 assists. As Philly’s third line center he’s found a niche as a defensive match-up player but while with Adirondack of the AHL during the lockout, he averaged nearly a point a game (28 points in 31 games). The Flyers would like to see the offense and defense balance out moving ahead.
Getting a deal done like this now helps sort of split the difference and gives him two more years to show he’s ready to cash in big.
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 0
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 0
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 21
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 35
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)