Jul 20, 2013, 9:54 PM EDT
“We have lots of time before we play a game, but obviously we’d like to get ‘Boeds’ done,” Assistant GM Brad Treliving said. “We’ve looked at different terms. We’ll keep banging away.”
The 23-year-old winger’s agent Jarrett Bousquet explains the rationale behind opting against salary arbitration.
“I just think arbitration wasn’t a process that we felt was healthy for both sides, and that’s why we didn’t file and they didn’t file on us,” Bousquet said. “I think we just continue to negotiate in good faith and try to bridge the gap.”
Treliving called Boedker the team’s “MVP” in the first half of 2013, but he had an up-and-down campaign. After scoring 15 points in the first 20 games of the season, Boedker’s play declined. Things really ended on a whimper as he only had two points – both assists – in the last 10 games of 2013.
Even so, Boedker scored the second-most points of his young career last season despite an abbreviated campaign.
That makes for a tricky valuation process, even if feelings will be spared from an arbitration hearing.
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 20
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)