Jul 20, 2013, 7:10 PM EDT
During this summer, the foundation seemed a little shaky thanks to their two knee injuries.
Luckily, the latest update brings good news. While there isn’t a specific window of recovery for either highly paid player, the Raleigh News & Observer’s Chip Alexander reports that both believe they are “ahead of schedule.”
Ward, 29, hurt his knee during the 2013 season, as the Canes never seemed to have much luck in net last season. The Hurricanes made an interesting move by adding former Boston Bruins backup Anton Khudobin as insurance (or at least a stronger No. 2).
Knee injuries can be tricky, but perhaps both key cogs might be ready for training camp or at least the start of the season. If nothing else, things look positive so far.
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 11
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 12
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 66
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 89
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 12
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (136)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)