Jul 19, 2013, 6:41 PM EST
In case you missed it, National Hockey League players will once again be participating in the Winter Olympics.
This time it’s in Sochi, Russia, for the 2014 Games. Canada enters the competition having won gold in the both the women’s and men’s ice hockey events in Vancouver four years ago.
And at the top of the podium is where people across Canada – and from all walks of life – want the Red and White to be standing when next year’s tournament is over.
Of course, Sidney Crosby, who scored the game-winning goal against the U.S. in Vancouver, is likely to lead Canada’s hockey team in a few months time. He knows what’s at stake.
It’s also worth mentioning that after winning gold at the 2002 Olympics, the Canadian team fell flat in Torino, Italy, and placed a disastrous seventh place.
“I think when you play for Canada, that’s the expectation,” said Crosby, as per the Pittsburgh Penguins website.
“I have never been to Russia, (but) obviously everyone knows the history with Canada-Russia in ’72 and ’87 and the list goes on and on. I think that right there, having the opportunity to play hockey in Russia is pretty special.
“But with the Olympics in general, I think that just being Canadian, you realize pretty quickly that people come together at that time of year especially. When it’s hockey, even more so. So I think yeah, you want to go there and find a way to win gold.”
- Marian Gaborik suffers broken collarbone in return to action 8
- Martin Jones improves to 8-0-0, ties NHL record 18
- Vermette gets hat trick, including late tying goal, OT winner 2
- GM Wilson: It’s too early to tell if Hertl’s season is done 26
- A month later, Martin Erat still wants to be traded 11
- Devils lose Brunner for at least four weeks 0
- Video: Ovechkin becomes sixth fastest player to 400 goals in Caps win 14
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 16
- Assault charges against Varlamov dropped 37
- Carlyle on HBO presence: ‘It’s not normal what we’re living right now’ 7
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (108)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (104)
- Orpik: First days after Thornton attack were ‘miserable’ (72)
- Video: Penguins defeat Leafs, Bortuzzo called for illegal hit to head (71)
- Video: Marchand taunts Canucks with championship miming (69)