Jul 19, 2013, 6:41 PM EDT
In case you missed it, National Hockey League players will once again be participating in the Winter Olympics.
This time it’s in Sochi, Russia, for the 2014 Games. Canada enters the competition having won gold in the both the women’s and men’s ice hockey events in Vancouver four years ago.
And at the top of the podium is where people across Canada – and from all walks of life – want the Red and White to be standing when next year’s tournament is over.
Of course, Sidney Crosby, who scored the game-winning goal against the U.S. in Vancouver, is likely to lead Canada’s hockey team in a few months time. He knows what’s at stake.
It’s also worth mentioning that after winning gold at the 2002 Olympics, the Canadian team fell flat in Torino, Italy, and placed a disastrous seventh place.
“I think when you play for Canada, that’s the expectation,” said Crosby, as per the Pittsburgh Penguins website.
“I have never been to Russia, (but) obviously everyone knows the history with Canada-Russia in ’72 and ’87 and the list goes on and on. I think that right there, having the opportunity to play hockey in Russia is pretty special.
“But with the Olympics in general, I think that just being Canadian, you realize pretty quickly that people come together at that time of year especially. When it’s hockey, even more so. So I think yeah, you want to go there and find a way to win gold.”
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 67
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 28
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 51
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 33
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (67)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)