Jul 19, 2013, 5:43 PM EST
Whether he plays in the World Junior Championships, though, is a different story.
The talented forward — taken 11th overall at the 2012 NHL Entry Draft — made his NHL debut with Nashville last season and could be playing for the Predators when the 2014 World Juniors get underway in Malmo, Sweden.
But in August, he’ll definitely be participating at the NJEC, on a Swedish team featuring 10 returnees from last year’s silver medal-winning squad — and a number of high draft picks.
Elias Lindholm, taken fifth overall by Carolina at the 2013 NHL Entry Draft, will be there, as will goaltender Oscar Dansk, a second-round draft pick of the Columbus Blue Jackets in 2012 .
Sebastian Collberg, selected 33rd overall in 2012 by Montreal, is also slated to participate.
But it’s likely most eyes will be on Forsberg, who was a big story in the latter half of last season.
He was dealt from Washington to Nashville at the deadline in exchange for Martin Erat, a shocker of a deal that came under some scrutiny as Forsberg was regarded as one of Washington’s best young prospects.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 4
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)