Jul 19, 2013, 5:43 PM EDT
Whether he plays in the World Junior Championships, though, is a different story.
The talented forward — taken 11th overall at the 2012 NHL Entry Draft — made his NHL debut with Nashville last season and could be playing for the Predators when the 2014 World Juniors get underway in Malmo, Sweden.
But in August, he’ll definitely be participating at the NJEC, on a Swedish team featuring 10 returnees from last year’s silver medal-winning squad — and a number of high draft picks.
Elias Lindholm, taken fifth overall by Carolina at the 2013 NHL Entry Draft, will be there, as will goaltender Oscar Dansk, a second-round draft pick of the Columbus Blue Jackets in 2012 .
Sebastian Collberg, selected 33rd overall in 2012 by Montreal, is also slated to participate.
But it’s likely most eyes will be on Forsberg, who was a big story in the latter half of last season.
He was dealt from Washington to Nashville at the deadline in exchange for Martin Erat, a shocker of a deal that came under some scrutiny as Forsberg was regarded as one of Washington’s best young prospects.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)