Jul 19, 2013, 5:43 PM EST
Whether he plays in the World Junior Championships, though, is a different story.
The talented forward — taken 11th overall at the 2012 NHL Entry Draft — made his NHL debut with Nashville last season and could be playing for the Predators when the 2014 World Juniors get underway in Malmo, Sweden.
But in August, he’ll definitely be participating at the NJEC, on a Swedish team featuring 10 returnees from last year’s silver medal-winning squad — and a number of high draft picks.
Elias Lindholm, taken fifth overall by Carolina at the 2013 NHL Entry Draft, will be there, as will goaltender Oscar Dansk, a second-round draft pick of the Columbus Blue Jackets in 2012 .
Sebastian Collberg, selected 33rd overall in 2012 by Montreal, is also slated to participate.
But it’s likely most eyes will be on Forsberg, who was a big story in the latter half of last season.
He was dealt from Washington to Nashville at the deadline in exchange for Martin Erat, a shocker of a deal that came under some scrutiny as Forsberg was regarded as one of Washington’s best young prospects.
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 2
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 16
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 58
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 28
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 81
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)