Jul 19, 2013, 5:43 PM EST
Whether he plays in the World Junior Championships, though, is a different story.
The talented forward — taken 11th overall at the 2012 NHL Entry Draft — made his NHL debut with Nashville last season and could be playing for the Predators when the 2014 World Juniors get underway in Malmo, Sweden.
But in August, he’ll definitely be participating at the NJEC, on a Swedish team featuring 10 returnees from last year’s silver medal-winning squad — and a number of high draft picks.
Elias Lindholm, taken fifth overall by Carolina at the 2013 NHL Entry Draft, will be there, as will goaltender Oscar Dansk, a second-round draft pick of the Columbus Blue Jackets in 2012 .
Sebastian Collberg, selected 33rd overall in 2012 by Montreal, is also slated to participate.
But it’s likely most eyes will be on Forsberg, who was a big story in the latter half of last season.
He was dealt from Washington to Nashville at the deadline in exchange for Martin Erat, a shocker of a deal that came under some scrutiny as Forsberg was regarded as one of Washington’s best young prospects.
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 37
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 56
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (56)