Jul 19, 2013, 5:43 PM EDT
Whether he plays in the World Junior Championships, though, is a different story.
The talented forward — taken 11th overall at the 2012 NHL Entry Draft — made his NHL debut with Nashville last season and could be playing for the Predators when the 2014 World Juniors get underway in Malmo, Sweden.
But in August, he’ll definitely be participating at the NJEC, on a Swedish team featuring 10 returnees from last year’s silver medal-winning squad — and a number of high draft picks.
Elias Lindholm, taken fifth overall by Carolina at the 2013 NHL Entry Draft, will be there, as will goaltender Oscar Dansk, a second-round draft pick of the Columbus Blue Jackets in 2012 .
Sebastian Collberg, selected 33rd overall in 2012 by Montreal, is also slated to participate.
But it’s likely most eyes will be on Forsberg, who was a big story in the latter half of last season.
He was dealt from Washington to Nashville at the deadline in exchange for Martin Erat, a shocker of a deal that came under some scrutiny as Forsberg was regarded as one of Washington’s best young prospects.
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 2
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 11
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 29
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 40
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 26
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 39
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)