Jul 19, 2013, 4:53 PM EDT
The Phoenix Coyotes have added depth to their forward group, signing Brandon Yip to a one-year, two-way contract.
Financial terms weren’t released.
Yip, 28, has spent the last two seasons in the Nashville organization, appearing in 34 games last year while recording eight points.
A former Boston University standout, Yip broke onto the scene with Colorado in 2009 and proceeded to score 23 goals over his first two seasons with the Avalanche, earning himself a two-year, $1.45 million deal in 2010.
In Phoenix, he’ll battle for bottom-six forward minutes, though should have an upper hand given his NHL experience (172 career games).
The Coyotes currently have just 11 forwards under contract for next season, but still need to reach a new deal with RFA Mikkel Boedker.
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 7
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 5
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 23
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)