Jul 19, 2013, 8:26 PM EST
Brendan Mikkelson has signed with the Pittsburgh Penguins, the club announced on Friday.
The 26-year-old Mikkelson was on the unrestricted free agent market, according to Capgeek.com.
As per the Penguins, Mikkelson signed a one-year, two-way contract, worth $550,000 at the National Hockey League level.
This past season, Mikkelson played four games for the Tampa Bay Lightning, but spent most of his time following the conclusion of the lockout in the American Hockey League with the Syracuse Crunch.
Mikkelson was part of that Crunch team that made it to the 2013 Calder Cup final.
In his four appearances with Tampa Bay in 2013, Mikkelson had one assist.
- Habs healthy scratch Briere for first time this season 5
- Chiarelli says he’s not trading Marchand 20
- Schenn to play tonight; Oates maintains Wilson hit was ‘totally clean’ 43
- Video: ‘The message is not being heard’ when it comes to illegal hits, suspensions 50
- Video: Kunitz collides with Rangers’ goalie Lundqvist in overtime (Updated) 52
- Discuss: Penguins outlast Rangers in the shootout on NBCSN Rivalry Night 43
- Video: Jagr passes Yzerman for eighth on NHL goals list 12
- Wild put Harding on IR to undergo change in MS treatment 16
- Nonis: I’m not firing Carlyle 15
- Steen agrees to extension with Blues — three years, $17.4 million 17
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (123)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (103)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)