Jul 19, 2013, 12:10 PM EDT
The Los Angeles Kings and Jordan Nolan won’t be going to arbitration after all.
On Friday, the club announced it had re-upped with Nolan on a two-year, $1.4 million deal, one that carries an average annual cap hit of $700,000.
The deal represents a slight pay bump for the 24-year-old, who was making $531,666 on his last deal and had a salary arbitration hearing scheduled for Aug. 1.
Nolan, who broke onto the scene in L.A. during the 2011-12 season, appeared in a career-high 44 games last season while notching six points, averaging 8:28 TOI per game.
He was in and out of the Kings’ lineup during the postseason, playing in seven of 18 games (three vs. St. Louis, three vs. San Jose and one vs. Chicago.)
Nolan is one of Los Angeles’ most active tough guys — he fought a team-high six times in ’13 — and his re-signing, along with the midweek acquisition of Dan Carcillo, could prove interesting for Kyle Clifford.
Clifford, another rugged forward, is currently a RFA but doesn’t have arbitration rights.
The Kings are fairly tight up against the cap and may considering moving him, considering Clifford will probably be looking for a raise on the $870,000 he made last season.
- Tortorella calls meltdown ‘a kick in the teeth’ 4
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 11
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 35
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)