Jul 19, 2013, 10:36 AM EST
According to Czech news outlet iSport.cz, free agent forward Jaromir Jagr was reportedly in New Jersey this week to “personally inspect” the Prudential Center, the Newark-based arena the Devils call home.
Here’s a Google translation of the iSport article:
It seems that the denouement near future Jaromir Jagr may have, as we reported yesterday iSport.cz server, the name of the New Jersey Devils. It is to this club aimed clues and resources daily Sport.
According to one of them yesterday Czech veteran was actually personally inspect Prudential Center, the home club hall in which it operates and other Czech icon – Patrik Elias. The agreement could occur in the next few hours or days.
Jaromir Jagr, New Jersey Devils. Perhaps over time this connection will actually be a reality. The fact that he was yesterday inspect star striker hall in which the club plays on Twitter speculated yesterday.
Someone striker spotted as in the bowels passes accompanied by Lou Lamoriello, general manager.
The move to New Jersey would make sense on a number of fronts.
One, the club could use a skill winger with some star power after Ilya Kovalchuk’s shock retirement.
Two, New Jersey has nearly $10 million in available cap space, more than enough to make Jagr a healthy offer (the 41-year-old made $3.3 million deal in Philly in 2011-12 and $4.5 million last year in Dallas and Boston.)
Three, there’s a certain comfort level for Jagr in Jersey.
New Jersey also signed Jagr’s former Stars teammate, Michael Ryder, earlier this summer.
UPDATE: According to Yahoo!’s Puck Daddy, Jagr’s agent, Petr Svoboda, would neither confirm nor deny that Jagr was in New Jersey or at the Prudential Center.
Svoboda did say there was “a possibility [Jagr] was there” on Thursday.
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 19
- Mike Richards clears waivers 27
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 13
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 53
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)