Jul 19, 2013, 10:36 AM EDT
According to Czech news outlet iSport.cz, free agent forward Jaromir Jagr was reportedly in New Jersey this week to “personally inspect” the Prudential Center, the Newark-based arena the Devils call home.
Here’s a Google translation of the iSport article:
It seems that the denouement near future Jaromir Jagr may have, as we reported yesterday iSport.cz server, the name of the New Jersey Devils. It is to this club aimed clues and resources daily Sport.
According to one of them yesterday Czech veteran was actually personally inspect Prudential Center, the home club hall in which it operates and other Czech icon – Patrik Elias. The agreement could occur in the next few hours or days.
Jaromir Jagr, New Jersey Devils. Perhaps over time this connection will actually be a reality. The fact that he was yesterday inspect star striker hall in which the club plays on Twitter speculated yesterday.
Someone striker spotted as in the bowels passes accompanied by Lou Lamoriello, general manager.
The move to New Jersey would make sense on a number of fronts.
One, the club could use a skill winger with some star power after Ilya Kovalchuk’s shock retirement.
Two, New Jersey has nearly $10 million in available cap space, more than enough to make Jagr a healthy offer (the 41-year-old made $3.3 million deal in Philly in 2011-12 and $4.5 million last year in Dallas and Boston.)
Three, there’s a certain comfort level for Jagr in Jersey.
New Jersey also signed Jagr’s former Stars teammate, Michael Ryder, earlier this summer.
UPDATE: According to Yahoo!’s Puck Daddy, Jagr’s agent, Petr Svoboda, would neither confirm nor deny that Jagr was in New Jersey or at the Prudential Center.
Svoboda did say there was “a possibility [Jagr] was there” on Thursday.
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 23
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)