Jul 19, 2013, 3:12 PM EST
New Jersey ended its lengthy search for a new assistant coach on Friday, announcing the hiring of former NHLer Mike Foligno.
Foligno, 54, spent 15 years in the NHL with Detroit, Buffalo, Toronto and Florida before transitioning to coaching.
He’s been an assistant at both the NHL (with Anaheim, Colorado and Toronto) and AHL (with Chicago, St. John’s and Hershey) levels, and a head coach for seven years with OHL Sudbury.
In Sudbury, Foligno coached both his sons, Nick and Marcus, who now play for the Columbus Blue Jackets and Buffalo Sabres, respectively.
Earlier this week, Devils head coach Peter DeBoer said the club was looking for an ex-player with coaching experience to take the assistant’s gig and in Foligno, he’s found exactly that.
Foligno will now work alongside Dave Barr, Scott Stevens and Chris Terreri on DeBoer’s staff, replacing former assistant Matt Shaw, who left the Devils to take a head coach/GM gig with USHL Dubuque.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)