Jul 19, 2013, 3:12 PM EDT
New Jersey ended its lengthy search for a new assistant coach on Friday, announcing the hiring of former NHLer Mike Foligno.
Foligno, 54, spent 15 years in the NHL with Detroit, Buffalo, Toronto and Florida before transitioning to coaching.
He’s been an assistant at both the NHL (with Anaheim, Colorado and Toronto) and AHL (with Chicago, St. John’s and Hershey) levels, and a head coach for seven years with OHL Sudbury.
In Sudbury, Foligno coached both his sons, Nick and Marcus, who now play for the Columbus Blue Jackets and Buffalo Sabres, respectively.
Earlier this week, Devils head coach Peter DeBoer said the club was looking for an ex-player with coaching experience to take the assistant’s gig and in Foligno, he’s found exactly that.
Foligno will now work alongside Dave Barr, Scott Stevens and Chris Terreri on DeBoer’s staff, replacing former assistant Matt Shaw, who left the Devils to take a head coach/GM gig with USHL Dubuque.
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 2
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 28
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)